Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Border advice

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Border advice

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to learn to make an 8 point star. Although I still have a way to go, I'd like to use these trials as a table runner. I am at a loss to decide what to do. Do any of you have a suggestion or two about color, width etc?

Thanks so much for your help,
    SF Jen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 point star.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	154396  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Border advice

You can use any color fabrics you want. It's your quilt. You might want the colors of your blocks to match your theme or house colors, etc. Will it be seasonal? Like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Easter, etc.? Some are made with a different color for every point with a large block in the middle. When I make table runners, they are for my coffee table, so a 12" (finished) block works well for me, usually with no border, or a very narrow one. There are many ideas on the web if you just Google it. Try "star block patterns."

I meant to add, you don't need to add a border unless you want to. When I do borders, I usually select one of the fabrics in the quilt for the border. It might also depend on the backing fabric you use. Sometimes I use the same fabric as the backing for the border and/or binding. Table runners are a great way to do practice block patterns. Have fun with it.
    Last edited by JCY; August 12th, 2018 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

those are gorgeous blocks. I like them with a golden border like your table color but if you want a different border how about one that carries the beachy theme like a swirly blue/green batik?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You could go in so many directions with borders; either the blue or green, or a print that coordinates with all your colors. You could even do the borders with your background color; that way the stars would be floating. As far as width, it's your decision...2.5" might be a good starting point. Just keep in mind that those borders add up and it's not hard to end up with a huge runner!
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I used a blue border for the 3 squares, and as chelea suggestion, the whole thing has gotten significantly bigger. I think I'll go for a black final binding, to corral all of the other colors. You guys are great!

6. Thanks Star lover, chelea thanked for this post