Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? about Medicare

DH & I will need to sign up for Medicare in the next year (yikes, where did all those years go). I am interested in knowing your thoughts & experience if you are on Medicare. I know that each year that goes by means the challenges that come with aging.

1. If you are a healthy person did you choose to get only A & B?

2. If so, as you aged did you regret not adding in the other Medicare choices at the beginning?

3. If you got the other choices & some years have passed did you regret paying out that extra?

4. Did you get the extra & drop it later?

5. If you are a person who doesn't go to the doctor unless you've just chopped off an appendage did that play into your decision as to Medicare choices?

I know that anything can happen in the future but neither of us ever had a job that paid very much so our retirement will be mainly dependent on Social Security.

Thank you for taking the time to read & answer my questions!

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ? about Medicare

Medicare is one of the most important financial decisions you will make. I love the friendly helpful people on this forum. I urge you to go to a reputable site like AARP and get your Medicare questions answered there. AARP may even be able to direct you to a free service who can answer your questions in person.

For example, and this is only one minor example of the bizarre Medicare laws, did you know that if you have your Medicare payments deducted directly from your Social Security payments that they can not raise your Medicare premiums per year more than your Social Security cost of living increase. This is under a "hold harmless" law.

You need expert knowledgeable advice.

Good luck and enjoy your retirement. More time for quilting
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a good one to know much about this. I took mine down to the Senior Center and they filled it out for me. I have no idea really what I have even at this point. I don't make enough to pay for extras since I'm on low social security. When it comes to medications I pay next to nothing and the most I've ever had to spend was $4 for a perscription (oddly enough that was actually for Carlie and I have no idea why they pay for that because I have it listed as the dog). The fortunate part is the reason I don't know is because I don't require any meds and I haven't had to go to the hospital for anything since I've gotten medicare. I hope that continues :-) What I'm hoping for is that I just die in my sleep at some point.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

5. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    I'm not a good one to know much about this. I took mine down to the Senior Center and they filled it out for me. I have no idea really what I have even at this point. I don't make enough to pay for extras since I'm on low social security. When it comes to medications I pay next to nothing and the most I've ever had to spend was $4 for a perscription (oddly enough that was actually for Carlie and I have no idea why they pay for that because I have it listed as the dog). The fortunate part is the reason I don't know is because I don't require any meds and I haven't had to go to the hospital for anything since I've gotten medicare. I hope that continues :-) What I'm hoping for is that I just die in my sleep at some point.
    I wish that for everone.

I recently applied for medical insurance because of Roberts passing. It's a thing called Quest at my dd's suggestion. I really didn't know what it was to tell you the truth. I called them and asked how much my payments will be. She said it's all free? They pick the insurance co and assign you a primary if you don't contact them in 10 days. It was just by luck I called them in time without knowing that.

Now besides being confused by that I got sent a Medicaid card. I'm still confused

Lorie

7. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was sent the Medicare atlas I looked at it and thought "I don't think so". You'd need a Phd to decipher it. Then you'd have to get a PhD each year to keep up with the changes.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Went on medicare as soon as I qualified. Bought a supplemental G from Mutual of Omaha. My SS is $453 a month after they take the medicare premium of $107. Denise is right...when the raise came it was eaten up by the medicare increase but that was only $4. You can get a free supplemental if you are willing to look into one of those (I'm trying to remember what its called they are like networks...AArp has them) but your out of pocket may be more in the long run. As long as you are healthy you won't mind the out of pocket but....a supplemental G has a deductible of $145 and everything else is paid. If you don't get a supplement, you can have out of pocket as high as $1200?? for each hospitalization...probably not an issue when you're healthy....but...you never know.
    DH is a vet and could go to the VA but I figure if we can afford mine we should afford his. The va is a distance from us.
    I did opt out of the drug coverage. We discussed it and decided that since we don't go to the doctor we probably won't get any prescriptions. My son said this is stupid (he's a pharmacist) He said some of these life saving prescriptions are 2 and 3 thousand dollars a month. Anyway, DH and I are not apt to try any life saving measures. We don't want to live if we have to take drugs. We would not treat many of the illnesses that could happen. We are taking control of our own health thru good nutrition, fresh air and exercise. Maybe it will be good, maybe not.
    Of course, if you opt out of medicare part D and decide to get it later, there is a whopping 10% penalty per year. So after 5 years it will cost you 50 % more than it would have 5 years earlier. Your supplemental insurance will also go up yearly. Mine started at 89$ a month and is now $140. DH started at $92 and his will be $155 this year. A lot of money for something we don't use, but if we needed it even once, I guess it would be worth it.
    Now, if you only own one piece of property and don't have much income there are programs that will help you pay for these services. That will be based on where you live.
    Hope this is somewhat helpful
    Have you decided where you are going to move yet?

11. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Medicare is complicated and everyone's situation is different. What insurance do you have now? Is it a retiree plan that you can continue?
    If Medicare will be your only insurance, A and B as well as D will give you the most complete coverage.
    Briefly, A covers hospital costs, B covers doctors, labs, etc and D covers drugs.
    If you are eligible for B and don't sign up for it, and then want it later, you pay a higher cost. Something to consider.

Whether or not you go to the doc only when "an appendage falls off" is not something I would use as a decision maker.
    Any of us can get into a car accident, suffer a fall, or suddenly develop an illness. Medical bills are the main cause of bankruptcy in this country unfortunately.

Compare the costs, check your budget and go from there. Are you able to estimate what your SS payments will be?

Good luck!
    "Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy" -- Eskimo Proverb

13. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amyquilts View Post
    Whether or not you go to the doc only when "an appendage falls off" is not something I would use as a decision maker.
    Any of us can get into a car accident, suffer a fall, or suddenly develop an illness. Medical bills are the main cause of bankruptcy in this country unfortunately.

Compare the costs, check your budget and go from there. Are you able to estimate what your SS payments will be?

Good luck!
    I cannot agree more with this statement. Insurance is not something to mess around with. My father was a crime victim and my parents would have needed to file for bankruptcy if he had not had health insurance. I had a friend who just died from breast cancer and her drugs were very expensive. I have to agree with Gramma Terry's son about the drug coverage.
    I have 8 more months of Cobra and then I need to find other medical coverage. I am not looking forward to it.

15. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know our city's senior center has knowledgeable folks to help seniors work through the Medicare options. You need to read - read - read, surf the web, & talk to people to get your facts straight. Do you have the Medicare manual? If not, you can request one. We have Medicare A & B & picked our own Medicare D Rx plan. You're required to have a drug plan whether you take any meds. or not. We have to select our secondary ins. through an ins. exchange, so we have to choose from those options. We opted to pay more so we could go to any dr. or hosp. we want to. We have no co-pays. It costs us >$400./mo. for both of us. Rx & dental ins. is extra, as is vision if you wear glasses & need that coverage. We both went on Medicare at age 65 & I started SS at 65, even though I worked for 2 more yrs.

17. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2cents on medicare. Both DH and I are on Medicare (Texas) and we have a supplement (I believe it PLanK ?--all supplements have same plans) Yes it is the highest plan but has more than paid for itself. We paid nothing to doctor hospital nor rehab after a knee replacement (without the supplement we would had been resposible for 20% of all of these costs
    No Plan D for meds??? oh my how the need for meds can change in a day! Yes today you take none but by next week you could be taking 3,or 4. Yu are limited on when you can sign up for this. Rethink this please

19. Thanks Carolnnc, MSN thanked for this post