Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Quilting Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    OK I think this is an unusual question.

    Anyone have any ideas what I might make using bathing suits? small wall hanging, mug rug, parts of a quilt? etc., I know it is crazy but my mom passed away a couple of months ago and I thought a lot about making something using her clothing. But, she was known far and wide as a swimmer. She had a lot of suits! (I do have several cover-ups as well. ) I know I would need to stabilize any fabric i would use.

    Side story: She was 93 and would still take the train downtown to the lake to swim in ice cold water! She had to overcome quite a bit in her life so my niece gave bracelets to all of us (from Etsy) with the inscription "Keep on Swimming" and we decided to put that on her headstone! Hopefully this 'project' will get me back into quilting.

    Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much.
    Donna

  2. #2
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    What a heart warming idea. What about going to thrift store and see if you can find some childrens bathing suits and cut them up and play with the textures of the fabric. Like a mini quilt project, a doll quilt size. Test the waters so to speak. Another idea, print off a picture of her on fabric and then maybe small squares sew around it (like a frame) and then actually frame the picture. Her and pieces of her suits.

  3. #3
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    Doesn't swim suit fabric have a lot of stretch? I wouldn't use it in a pieced quilt. Might be cute to try some appliqué with it.

  4. #4
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    If you have enough suits, you could make a whole quilt! Get some coordinating fabric and you'll have a great memory quilt.

    Since bathing suit material stretches so much, just treat it like they do for t-shirts and make your memory quilt. I used fusible tricot on the shirts to stabilize them and it worked great. Iron on the tricot then cut out your squares. That is much easier than trying to iron it on afterwards and hassle with the edges rolling up too much.

    Good luck and enjoy those memories of your mom.

  5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
  6. #5
    Quilting Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    If you have enough suits, you could make a whole quilt! Get some coordinating fabric and you'll have a great memory quilt.

    Since bathing suit material stretches so much, just treat it like they do for t-shirts and make your memory quilt. I used fusible tricot on the shirts to stabilize them and it worked great. Iron on the tricot then cut out your squares. That is much easier than trying to iron it on afterwards and hassle with the edges rolling up too much.

    Good luck and enjoy those memories of your mom.
    Thanks!! I have made a couple tshirt quilts. I appreciate the encouragement.

  7. #6
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    This is a really cool idea, and I dont have any suggestions as I have never sewed on stretchy swimsuit fabric.

    This is kind of a side idea. When my Mom passed we found a dresser drawer crammed with about 75 different kinds of wrapping paper, some like 25 years old. My sister and I split it up but I cut about a 3 inch wide strip off each kind. Then I cut those up into 3 inch squares and assembled them like a miniature book. Didnt have a fancy laminator but cheater sealed them with wide clear packing tape (very strong), hole punched the corners then got a plain key ring to hold them together and put a tinyb red ribbon on it. Voila! Xmas ornament for me and my sister. Sure brings back memories flipping through that little book every year, I am so glad I did that. So when you are done, don't throw out your scraps. Maybe you could make something like this. Sorry this post got so long!

  8. Thanks LindaKay75, Star lover, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
  9. #7
    Quilting Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    This is a really cool idea, and I dont have any suggestions as I have never sewed on stretchy swimsuit fabric.

    This is kind of a side idea. When my Mom passed we found a dresser drawer crammed with about 75 different kinds of wrapping paper, some like 25 years old. My sister and I split it up but I cut about a 3 inch wide strip off each kind. Then I cut those up into 3 inch squares and assembled them like a miniature book. Didnt have a fancy laminator but cheater sealed them with wide clear packing tape (very strong), hole punched the corners then got a plain key ring to hold them together and put a tinyb red ribbon on it. Voila! Xmas ornament for me and my sister. Sure brings back memories flipping through that little book every year, I am so glad I did that. So when you are done, don't throw out your scraps. Maybe you could make something like this. Sorry this post got so long!
    OMG - Amazing story and idea. Thank you so much!

  10. #8
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Licking, Missouri USA
    Posts
    23,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    I love your story, Jocelyn! What a wonderful idea.

  11. #9
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kauai
    Posts
    21,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    How about a wall hanging? I love this artists patterns and she makes a lot of swimmers or ladies in bathing suits. Raw edge applique would work well with it too.

    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/87890630199764399/

    Keep scrolling down on the page and there are more designs, even a diver.



    Lorie

  12. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post
  13. #10
    Quilting Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What can I make with bathing suits ? :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    How about a wall hanging? I love this artists patterns and she makes a lot of swimmers or ladies in bathing suits. Raw edge applique would work well with it too.

    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/87890630199764399/

    Keep scrolling down on the page and there are more designs, even a diver.
    OMG. I'm doing this!!
    And the other ideas too!

    This is terrific!

    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •