Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Scraps Left Behind! The Lovely "Sand and Sea" Scrap Busting Pillow Project

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

2. Thanks Laurie B, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No Scraps Left Behind! The Lovely "Sand and Sea" Scrap Busting Pillow Project

She does have some nice tutorials. For any of you that sew for little girls, check out her jumper pattern. I've been making them for GDs. Really cute! Altho I use knits rather than quilters cotton-easier to care for.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No Scraps Left Behind! The Lovely "Sand and Sea" Scrap Busting Pillow Project

That was neat. An easy technique. I might be just OCD enough that I might not make it quite like hers, but the method would work for any fabric combinations.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a class years ago where we used that same way of making pillows. I have even made pillowcases like that but the folded part was about 4 - 6 inches away from the end so it would be easier to insert the bed pillow and it does not slide out. Also, you can have a lot of fun with the opening on the back. Like velcro, or in my case I wanted to use my wave edge ruler.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Learned a little trick a few years ago (well, really more than a few). Slightly curve each of the corners in a bit when sewing rather than keeping the seam allowance the same . The pillow forms sit better in them and fills that corner area out nicely and more finished looking. This tut is an example although she doesn't curve in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmpy1Hw8rqU
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post