Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Hello!!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello!!

Newbie at Quilting. Hi, my name is Susan... I live in PA, USA! And I'm pretty much new to quilting.

I've started quilting a year ago, and let it fall by the way side simply because you know how life likes to creep up on you... yeah pretty much what happen to me.

So now I've started another quilt, well actually didn't finish binding the other 38x38 which I will by the ending of this month to tell you the truth. I've started and almost completed my lap quilt, which all I need to do is the binding.

When I say I'm a newbie to this, I am a newbie. Hand sewn is all I do, I do not have a sewing machine to make my life easy... I like hand stitching. It helps calm me...

I'm a big Peter Gabriel fan and I'm a big The Phantom of the Opera (also Sarah Brightman) (anyone got quilt tips, or ideas for this... I do have my own, but I need to find something for a pattern I want my own Phantom of the Opera quilt made by me).

Anyways... that's my intro, so any help would be great and how in the world can you understand the patterns that are out there. The easy thing for me beside my pinwheel (pinwheels are fun to create), is my 5 pack of charms lap quilt. I can make them easy... LOL

So, Hi!

Susan
    Last edited by blueeyedsuzie; August 7th, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello!!

Welcome from Colorado. I wish you well with your quilting journey. My old hands would not tolerate hand quilting. I do everything by machine, even bindings. Do you live anywhere near the Amish & Lancaster area?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from New York, Susan. I agree, hand stitching is very calming but I have never done a complete quilt by hand yet. Love hand stitching my bindings.

Phantom of the Opera is a favorite of mine too.

As far as patterns go, watch some of Jenny's tutorials and I bet you'll find one that you will understand and be able to do by hand.

Again, welcome. You are going to really like it here.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan! Happy you've joined us. I hand quilt, but piece by machine. You have my admiration. I too find hand quilting very calming and rewarding.

Name:  IMG_1876.GIF
Views: 29
Size:  10.5 KB
    Anita

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Northeast Ohio! You must be incredibly patient to make your quilts by hand -- I am a machine sewer from start to finish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 4.50.13 PM.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	154254

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Susan, Welcome from Sunny Florida! I know what you mean about hand sewing, I've been working, on and off, for years on a hexagon quilt. One day, it will be finished, but I'm taking that beast to be quilted (it's almost big enough for my queen sized waterbed).
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome from Canada's capital. How lovely that you hand quilt. I don't, except for very small project, but I find sewing, quilting a very relaxing hobby that lets me express my creative side. Check out some of the group's on the forum. Enjoy and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.