Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What’s For Supper?

tacos tomorrow night... have grand kids and they love taco night.
    other ideas:
    chicken n dumplings
    hamburger roll (bisquit recipe)
    meatloaf
    encheladas

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I think the zucchini and parmesean is meatless
    Ding ding ding! You win!! Yes it is meatless zucchini parmesan. I would never eat meatless meatloaf, it would probably be made with tofu or something. Besides if I am having meatloaf I must have ketchup too!

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is meatless meatloaf if you really want to make it. It's usually some kind of beans or lentils, mushrooms and veggies.
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=meatless%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=meatloaf%7Ctyped

I was going to say fish tacos. Love tacos!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a poor person to respond, because we eat much of the same foods all the time. DH is limited in what he can eat, due to G.I problems & so many allergies & food intolerances. He is deathly allergic to MSG, so I cook everything from scratch, too. I eat the same meat at supper, a turkey patty. I mix up 3 lb. of meat at a time. I add eggs, cracker crumbs, onion, garlic, shredded carrot, slivered almonds, & seasonings; it usually makes 19-21 patties. I vary my veggies & fruit. I seldom eat white potatoes or even yams. I also have diabetes, so I have to be careful with the carbs. Not the same foods we ate when the kids were home growing up. I eat out occasionally to get variety -- like Mexican or Chinese, stuff DH absolutely cannot eat. It's been years since he's eaten in a restaurant; too much risk of getting MSG & unwanted food additives.

Terry ~ I remember the days when I used to make tuna noodle casserole. Pasta & noodles are mostly off my list now. I no longer use any of the canned soups due to the MSG. Campbell's soup is laced with it & is high is sodium. If I make spaghetti, I use organic canned tomatoes/sauce and/or fresh. I also make it with ground turkey, not beef. When I eat it, I eat just the sauce w/o the noodles, so it's sort of like eating chili, but w/o the beans or seasonings of chili.
    Last edited by JCY; August 7th, 2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Additional info.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, much to DH chagrin , I do not buy campbells soup. There are some better choices that are organic. I sometimes make my own. Notice the tuna casserole has no noodles. My mother made one similar...no eggs and she did it on top of the stove and added the tuna and soup and peas. I liked that but DH is not fond of noodles.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Cut chicken breast in half the long way, flour and flash sear. Take out of pan and add thick sliced onions, diced garlic, roasted red peppers ( I buy in jar) and capers, pepper and salt to your taste. . You can add chicken broth or water and put chicken back in pan and baste with vega & juice. Put a lid on and turn to low on top of stove until chicken is done. You can also put in oven. Very tasty.

I also make a spaghetti sauce out of fresh vega, zuccheni, red onion, garlic, diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, pepper. Make sauce in early afternoon and let let on counter covered. Cook spaghetti, drain and add grated parmesan cheese, then add sauce with drizzle of olive oil over. You can also add feta cheese or diced goat cheese. Again yum!
    Last edited by farmgirlretired; August 8th, 2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirlretired View Post
    Cut chicken breast in half the long way, flour and flash sear. Take out of pan and add thick sliced onions, diced garlic, roasted red peppers ( I buy in jar) and capers, pepper and salt to your taste. . You can add chicken broth or water and put chicken back in pan and baste with vega & juice. Put a lid on and turn to low on top of stove until chicken is done. You can also put in oven. Very tasty.

I also make a spaghetti sauce out of fresh vega, zuccheni, red onion, garlic, diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, pepper. Make sauce in early afternoon and let let on counter covered. Cook spaghetti, drain and add grated parmesan cheese, then add sauce with drizzle of olive oil over. You can also add feta cheese or diced goat cheese. Again yum!
    This would be something I would make. I had to look up Vega and probably wouldn't go so far to buy that. But the rest sounds good!

Lorie

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I cook just for me and I am in the same boat......so tired of the same things so I am always on the look out for something different too. I have an Instant Pot and just recently got the Cuisinart Toaster Oven Air Fryer so am trying some new things with those two "tools". and found a "new" old thing the other day. Made cornbread muffins in the Toaster Oven using convection bake but the 6 muffin pan that I had left me with a bit of cornbread mix left in the bowl. Got out my "el cheapo" waffle iron and saying why not....made a cornbread waffle. It was wonderful. Put a little butter on it and topped with butterbeans (cooked in the instant pot). Voila supper/dinner!. The muffins turned out ok but next time I want cornbread, gonna make waffles instead. In fact may just make some up, freeze, and heat up in my new toaster/convection/air fryer.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Home made Macaroni and cheese is too delicious dish

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last nights supper...DH's favorite......I made changes....

Always Perfect Chicken Breast (and yes, they are always perfect.....been making for years, never failed!)

Serves: 4
    Prep time: 2 hrs 15 min
    Cook time: 25 min

2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    Zest of one large lemon
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
    4 small chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin-on
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

On a cutting board, combine and mince together the garlic and the lemon zest. Add the salt and pepper and combine well to create the seasoning mix for the chicken.

Place the chicken breasts, one at a time, in a gallon zip lock bag and, using a heavy cast iron skillet, pound the chicken to an even 1/2 inch thickness. This will only take a couple of good whacks and the bones will break as the breast flattens.

Rub the chicken on all sides with the seasoning mixture, being sure to get a little bit under the skin as well. Place the seasoned chicken on a tray and refrigerate uncovered for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. (Sometimes I've done for less, didn't notice a difference, at all).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil. Add 2 of the chicken breasts, skin side down, and cook over hight heat until golden brown, just on that one side.

Remove from the pan and repeat with remaining 2 breasts. When they are browned, return the first 2 breasts to the pan, making sure that all 4 are skin side up now, and roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until just cooked through.

Roasting time will vary depending on the size of the breasts. Cook to 160° F or until juices run clear. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.

Ok, last night it was boneless chicken thighs......as good or better than breasts! Oh yum, yum!

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post