Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using the circle cut template question

I am wanting to make a quilt using circles, size 8, 6 and 4" circles. So to make this chore easier I purchased the Circle Cut template from M*. Last night I cut out an 8" circle. It came out to 8 1/2". So I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong. If the template says 8" I would hope to get an 8". It happened the same for the 6" and the 4", always adding that extra 1/2". I have no clue to what I'm doing wrong. Has anyone used this Circle Cut template and might have the solution?
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using the circle cut template question

Is the difference the seam allowance or is this after you stitched the circles? Is the 8 1/2 inches the finished size?

You would need 81/2 inch circle for a 8 inch finished circle. (I think).

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rhonda. It sounds like this template is adding the 1/2" seam allowance and I don't want that. I just want an 8" circle. Three circles (8", 6", 4" stacked) will go on a 12" square of fabric. The quilt is called "Bullseye Quilt" I found on Pinterest. I guess it wouldn't make any difference having the 1/2" added.

I saw a circle cutter by Olfa in Joann's today and it will cut exact circles. It's a new gadget and I watched a tutorial on it, it's pretty cool.
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a fusible on the circles/

Here is how I make circles.

Cut the size with a 1/2 inch seam allowance and cut a very light weight inter-facing the same. Stitch (RST) right sides together all the way around. Make a slit in the inter-facing and then turn out the circle to round. Press into shape. Then stack into place with the other circles.

Stitch around the circles with desired stitch.

ETA: Edited to Add

You can draw the circle shape for your stitching line. It is easier to stitch along the marks.
    Last edited by Rhonda K; August 6th, 2018 at 07:46 PM.

5. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to the "Easy Circle Cut Ruler"? https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...rcle-cut-ruler

If so, then yes Rhonda is correct, it adds the seam allowance.

What you might try (be aware I don't have this ruler and therefore haven't tried this, so use a scrap piece of fabric), instead of putting the fold on the solid line, place it on the dotted line and then cut on the 7" slot.

Please let us know if this gets you the desired 8" circle, and is it a true circle, and not some weird oblong shape.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Are you referring to the "Easy Circle Cut Ruler"? https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...rcle-cut-ruler

If so, then yes Rhonda is correct, it adds the seam allowance.

What you might try (be aware I don't have this ruler and therefore haven't tried this, so use a scrap piece of fabric), instead of putting the fold on the solid line, place it on the dotted line and then cut on the 7" slot.

Please let us know if this gets you the desired 8" circle, and is it a true circle, and not some weird oblong shape.
    Thank you Caroline. That didn't work either, it gave me kinda oblong shape. I'll just settle for the 1/2" extra. This type of quilt it doesn't matter.
    Linda

8. Thanks Caroline T. thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Are you using a fusible on the circles/

Here is how I make circles.

Cut the size with a 1/2 inch seam allowance and cut a very light weight inter-facing the same. Stitch (RST) right sides together all the way around. Make a slit in the inter-facing and then turn out the circle to round. Press into shape. Then stack into place with the other circles.

Stitch around the circles with desired stitch.
    No, the tutorial I watched didn't mention using any fusible. If I did this way I wouldn't get the fray edges. It's good to know this method.
    Linda