Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prewashing Pre-cuts

Since most pre-cuts are 100 % cotton; it is a given there will be shrinking. I DO NOT pre-wash the pre-cuts I purchase. Once I have my quilt completed (regardless of size); I wash on cold water, gentle cycle with color catcher sheets. Once the quilt is dry ( delicate cycle), I press it!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prewashing Pre-cuts

I have known about the post washing shrinkage since I started quilting almost eight years ago. But, I really never considered how it would affect a quilt that had specific size requirements. I guess I never really made one with specific size requirements! For the bed quilts that I have made, I always made something between queen and king size for beds that were queen size. (Never had to make one for a king size bed). So, even with the shrinkage, the quilts were large enough.
    u
    I have plans to make a whole cloth quilt, and I was going to cut the cloth to specific measurements. Now I realize I better add a few inches on both length and width to compensate for the shrinkage. I don't prewash my fabric, and even if I did, I would also have to prewash the batting to avoid that shrinkage after quilting.

I tend to wash my quilts before giving them as gifts. I want to see what they look like after washing, so there are not any surprises.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post