Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Angela Walters new pattern?

I have used their cutting instructions but advise others not to.
    I didn't think about the size of the points on the star section when I first cut them. You can't cut a 8 1/2 sq on the diagonal then use the 4 triangles to go around a 8 1/2" square. You lose the points every time. I ended up recutting the triangles larger and then trimming the results to the right size for the center. I had to re-cut the triangles for the other two center sections.

Not happy with these directions. They might be OK for a more experienced quilter but not for me.

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I didn't think about the size of the points on the star section when I first cut them. You can't cut a 8 1/2 sq on the diagonal then use the 4 triangles to go around a 8 1/2" square. You lose the points every time. I ended up recutting the triangles larger and then trimming the results to the right size for the center. I had to re-cut the triangles for the other two center sections.

Not happy with these directions. They might be OK for a more experienced quilter but not for me.
    Thanks for posting about this , because it was one I wanted to do , but don't think I will try it

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post

I just purchased this pattern on sale and am hovering over the fabric before cutting. How large did you make your squares in order to cut them into 4 triangles that will keep their points?
    Theda

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I added an inch and a half. Seems like an inch would work. You might try either a paper cut to size or some ugly fabric.

I got the top finished, it ended up a bit poofy but the poofiness is disappearing with the fmq quilting. I am not wild about all the negative space since I am not that great at the actual quilting.

When I was cutting this out I cut lots of the binding tool segments, enough for two quilts but am making the second one from the M* pattern, not Angela's.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Claire, I was thinking an inch or maybe a wee bit more would do it. I bought the kit on a good sale and while they certainly gave me enough fabric, I panicked. Ask the expert. This quilt is a gift for my cousin who has been "patiently waiting" a few years for "her quilt". We were raised together like sisters and have always been close. I wanted her quilt to be perfect. All the blues and lavender in the quilt just screams that this one is for her so now I can surprise her with one just for her. Jenny's Binding Star quilt is on my list to do to. But that one is for me
    Theda

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post