Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Don't Do Alterations!

A year and a half ago when my daughter got married, my granddaughters were in the wedding -- 3 flower girls and one junior bridesmaid. I made all 4 of the dresses. I was freaked out about the hemming. I asked the seamstress that altered my daughter's dress how much it would be to have her do the hems -- $50 to $75 per dress. Way too much for me, but she did show me how to do the hems and they turned out beautifully. I just don't remember anymore how I did it.

Nancy

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethB View Post
    A year and a half ago when my daughter got married, my granddaughters were in the wedding -- 3 flower girls and one junior bridesmaid. I made all 4 of the dresses. I was freaked out about the hemming. I asked the seamstress that altered my daughter's dress how much it would be to have her do the hems -- $50 to $75 per dress. Way too much for me, but she did show me how to do the hems and they turned out beautifully. I just don't remember anymore how I did it.

Nancy
    If you really want to know, I bet there's a You Tube video out there that shows how to do it.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My step son is engaged. Remembering that I sewed my wedding gown, he asked me to sew his future wife's bridal gown. They have no clue how much work that entails. I spent 185 hours on my dress. To further complicate matters, they live nearly 300 miles away. I begged out of it (at least for now) by pleading that my skill set really does not include altering a pattern to fit. I'm happy to help by making her veil or sewing a shawl, but I cannot sew a dress to fit someone who isn't available to try it on.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother was an excellent seamstress. She often said that altering a garment was more work than making a new garment.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would much prefer to start over/ make new then alter something. I have made everything from my wedding gown to a 3 piece suit for hubby to many christening outfits and doll clothes . But alterations are the pitts.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

7. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Its not that I mind fixing stuff no that is not true actually I hate it. SL brings me his rips tears ect. He had a pair of slacks that he said were his favorite and the belt loop was still attached but coming apart. He said these were "nice" slacks . The belt loop was folded and GLUED. I guess after several cleanings the glue had separated . I had no idea how to fix it . I just took a couple of small stitches so it would lay down and he could stick his belt through it. He didn't like what I did. Well, that ticked me off!! I bit my tongue. I am not a seamstress. I send my own clothes to the cleaners and will suggest he does the same in the future.
    Just because there is a sewing machine in my house doesn't mean I am a skilled seamstress!

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I handle requests for fixes easily. I say sure, but you have to be sitting her with me and I will show you how, they quickly change their minds. I have a bag of my daughters items and will not fix them until she sits with me. My answer is always no when asked to make something. I barely have time to sew for my pleasure.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

11. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The one that irritated me most was my dd's ( mostly the younger one) would ask me to hem jeans the morning before school. I got so tired of that that I said just staple them. lol

Lorie

13. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do sew a lot of clothing, but I usually refer alterations requests to a tailor... I just am not a tailor!! my kids and husband know that "fix it" requests can take up to a month to find their way to the front of the line...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sharyn, you did not get full disclosure so that alone is enough reason to decline. I use the "I'll show you how to do it" line and the "I'll give you the name and phone numbers of people that do that". It works and some people do get mad but if you have the nerve to ask you'd better be ready for the answers I may give.