Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Aug 3 - 9, 2018

I don't know about you all, but these "Dog Days of Summer" really get me down. Lots of last minute stuff before school starts. I'm hoping to take my grandkids to at least one of the TWO dinosaur exhibits in driving distance this week.

In fact, I need somebody to kick off next week's thread on Friday morning, because I'm looking at getting tickets to the one in Kansas City on the 10th.

On the crafting front, not a lot of movement. I have been fighting off some kind of bug that has zapped my energy and I've been getting home and just collapsing. I fell asleep in front of the TV twice this week. I never do that!

But heading into the weekend with better energy today, so hopefully I will be more productive this week!

2. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Aug 3 - 9, 2018

Hope you feel better soon and get back on track.
    I finished a couple of things recently, a couple of guild challenges and a scrappy Project Linus got turned in last night so on to the next project/s.
    I discovered two tops all pieced at a retreat last fall that just needed borders, they are now in the works. One is sandwiched and half through the FMQ, the other is waiting for the border fabric to be ironed, it is starched and in the fridge until later today or tomorrow.
    There is a third sandwiched and ready for quilting to begin. I can only FMQ for an hour or two at a time so things get bogged down at that stage.

4. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I balked at the Birthstone Diamond block by MJ Kinman. I decided to try and recolor the Birthstone Pink Tourmaline as diamond. I had such a difficult time trying to figure it out I finally broke down and went old school and did a mock up using swatches of fabric pinned to a board. It did allow me to try different things and move things around. Here is my final configuration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4498.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	154202

I have the pieces cut out and I'm sewing them together. I sure hope this works.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it will look great, Denise. I like the color choices.

I'm continuing work on my 1st paper piece project!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

7. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done very little applique . What I have done I haven't been pleased with. My DG who is 6 by a couple of days and has never shown any interest in a quilt now wants a Gnome quilt. ( you have probably seen the pattern). I have a few pieces of the heat and bond lite ironed on. ( I am not sure that is the right stuff to use). My problem has been getting the correct stitch setting on my machine. I also am putting the binding on two quilts and have several tops left to quilt. School starts this Wednesday maybe I can catch up. It sure would be nice to have something finished.

9. Thanks birdscraps, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All I have done sewing related, is to put away the fabric I bought when I was inHamilton, Mo and Wichita KS. Oh, and I gought 2 scrap book bins to store 2 projects.

Flying out to Kansas on Aug 10. Back home 10 days later.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

11. Thanks birdscraps thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned today from a week's holiday, so no sewing for me, I did take some crochet with me though.

I have loads of washing done, need to iron it and put away before I can venture into my sewing room. Maybe the middle of next week I'll be playing once more.

13. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working on a quilt that I swear is gonna kill me. I have started over four different times. It is blue and purple batiks and I had to buy every bit, since I had none in my stash and these are the colors my niece wants. She has a queen size bed and I am a hand quilter! I keep running out of fabric, then ordering more..have gotten several pieces in yardage that when arrived showed turqoise prominently in the print, and I will not use that color, I hate it so much it seems to ruin every block I put it in, then I have to rip it out and substitute it with something else. I have 49 blocks (6 inch) done and 200+ to go. This quilt is costing me a fortune. I can't afford to make any more color mistakes! I also discovered the importance of keeping a runnung list of what was ordered where in case I need to reorder something I already have and the colir is perfect, and blends with all the rest.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; August 5th, 2018 at 01:04 AM.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Finished my Birthstone Pink Tourmaline by MJ Kinman recolored as a diamond. The mock up helped. One more block to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4507.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	154209
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful, Denise!!

I have finished the binding and am plugging away at tying loose threads and tucking them in on the quilt I made my friend. I really need to ship it out, but I've lost my mojo and am just dying to sew something else... anything else... better finish it up though, as I have a pile of cards to send along with it!!

then I think I'm going to make myself a shirt... because I just really want to do a piece of clothing, I haven't sewn clothes since May and that's just too long ago :-(

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post