Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Asking for prayers

Medicine has changed so so much in the last 50 years. Will keep you in my prayers that the time will pass quickly & it'll be the 21st before you know it. Maybe you could get on a "cancel appt list" so you can go in sooner? Will also pray for the doctors to know for sure what to do for you. Won't tell you not to worry or stress too much just don't let it be the main focus.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have faith and it seems we are all behind you.

Remember, worrying does change anything, so enjoy your dance weekend.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a number of years since I worked in cardiology, but this is what I am thinking:

Is it possible that when the cardiologist talked about the two sides of the heart usually beating in sync, that s/he meant that the upper chambers (atria) beating in sync with the lower chambers (ventricles)? This makes more sense to me than the left/right. The heart's "natural pacemaker" is in the right atrium. The first implantable pacemakers placed a lead (wire) into the right atrium to stimulate the natural pacemaker. When stimulated by the pacemaker, the heart's natural "wiring" caused the atria to contract, immediately followed by the ventricles. This atria-to-ventricle contraction should happen in a 1:1 ratio. Some people's natural "wiring," though, doesn't always conduct this in a 1:1 ratio. As pacemakers became more sophisticated, many are now dual chamber. This means that they are able to sense both what the atria are doing, and also what the ventricles are doing, and can stimulate either or both as needed to maintain a normal heartbeat. Your new pacemaker/defibrillator will also be able to deliver a shock to the ventricles if they ever begin to quiver rather than contract fully.

Your risk of a cardiac event is no greater today than it was a week ago. As Suzanne said, worry does not take the pain from tomorrow, it only takes the strength from today. Go to Richmond and kick up your heels!

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    It's been a number of years since I worked in cardiology, but this is what I am thinking:

Is it possible that when the cardiologist talked about the two sides of the heart usually beating in sync, that s/he meant that the upper chambers (atria) beating in sync with the lower chambers (ventricles)? This makes more sense to me than the left/right. The heart's "natural pacemaker" is in the right atrium. The first implantable pacemakers placed a lead (wire) into the right atrium to stimulate the natural pacemaker. When stimulated by the pacemaker, the heart's natural "wiring" caused the atria to contract, immediately followed by the ventricles. This atria-to-ventricle contraction should happen in a 1:1 ratio. Some people's natural "wiring," though, doesn't always conduct this in a 1:1 ratio. As pacemakers became more sophisticated, many are now dual chamber. This means that they are able to sense both what the atria are doing, and also what the ventricles are doing, and can stimulate either or both as needed to maintain a normal heartbeat. Your new pacemaker/defibrillator will also be able to deliver a shock to the ventricles if they ever begin to quiver rather than contract fully.

Your risk of a cardiac event is no greater today than it was a week ago. As Suzanne said, worry does not take the pain from tomorrow, it only takes the strength from today. Go to Richmond and kick up your heels!
    Yes....you are absolutely correct...it is upper and lower chambers....and I will be getting a dual chamber device with defibrillator. It was the little sudden death statement that scared the poop out of me.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments and prayers.

Having a lovely time in Richmond.

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Sending prayers for your continued excellent treatment and good heath. Waiting is hard. Just take it a day at a time. Blessings to you.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago my DH was passing out. Finally got him to the doctor and they gave him a pacemaker. Lasted a year and then he started passing out again. Gave him the double wiring pacemaker with a defibrillator and he's been ok except for other health issues. We started out with a device that plugged into our phone line and it would remotely check his heart beats. They now have gone to a device that just plugs in any outlet. Prayers being sent your way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, for all the words of encouragement and also for all your prayers.

We just got home from Richmond and it really great to take my mind off myself for a couple of days. We did a lot of dancing and I survived - praise God!!!! I'm going to call tomorrow and get on a cancellation list for the dr.....I'm ready to get this behind me.

Have a lovely Sunday
    C

10. Thanks dwil23, Star lover, MSN thanked for this post