Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selling your house question

Bought and sold 7 homes in 30 years. I would interview at least 3 agents.
    A good agent will show you comps of similar houses sold in your area.
    Ask what needs to be put in storage/closets. Don't be offended by suggestions.
    Buyers want to see how much room is
    available. Kitchen needs to be uncluttered. You can talk down commission.
    6% is normal in my area, some of my agents have done it for 4.5%.
    We always paid for a pest report before selling. A home inspection is paid for by
    the buyers. You don't have to fix anything you don't want to.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Declutter, declutter, declutter, then clean it until it sparkles. I don't think you have to stage those bedrooms, but you don't want the closets to look as though they are bursting at the seams. Same for the kitchen. Box up all the canning supplies and get them out of the kitchen. Ideally, take out half of whatever is in the cabinets so that they look really roomy. Organize your pantry. Good luck!

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

the buyer gets an inspection and then you talk about what to do. I sold my house after I'd moved out. I prefer to see an empty house so i can see the floors and all. I had a good real estate agent in Colorado. very good. it was sold as is! got a lot for it anyway.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Zillow.com & enter your home address in the search box to see what they think your house is worth. That web site also provides a map of what other properties in your neighborhood have sold for. They list what's public record -- i.e. when the house was built, the taxes, info. about the property, when the house last sold & what it sold for & will estimate current value. It does not take into consideration any upgrades you may have made to the house, because they do not know that. Around here, the real estate market is crazy, with property values way high. It's definitely a seller's market in our county. We could never afford to buy our house again. We've lived here for 40 yrs. I perish the thought of ever having to move.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I only signed with a realtor for the minimum amount of time and then would switch to an open listing. The listing realtor had more motivation to sell it fast that way rather then have to share her/his commission with another realtor.

I found that people generally offered at least 10% of the listing price so I took that into account when I first listed. You can always lower the price later if necessary but can't increase it generally.

I usually did my best to checkout who was the realtor with the highest sales in the area. I also checked out three.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

10. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that they want you to fill out is a seller's disclosure of who is the electric, water, details of the property, any thing that has been done or repaired. It can take some time to fill it out.

On your end, be prepared that it takes longer than it use to for everything to process. One of our friends who is a realtor said almost all of the house selling around here never closes on time due to the mortgage companies' red tape.

As far as an inspection, I would wait and have the buyers decide if they want one done and what the inspection says needs to be done. One house that we lived in, when you read the report, you would have thought the house was falling in - it wasn't, he was just writing stuff to make it look like he had inspected. By the way, you also get to have a copy of it after the buyer's have the inspection done. Furnace was on the report. It said the furnace needed to be moved - we are talking a house 90 years old. Turns out the only problem with it was the fan needed a good cleaning.

You probably won't be dealing people getting government loans but it can be a real pain. They wanted all kinds of stuff done to the house including a new roof (the roof was okay and would have easily lasted over 10 years). It turns out that was standard on all that type of government loan was putting on a new roof. We told them we were not replacing the roof.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the easiest things to do is buy a small hot pot and get some apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice and put it in warm water by the entrance doors. It makes the house smell like "home". Also, if the house is empty make sure there is a full roll of TP in the bathroom.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Zillow estimates are never right! A realtor should run comps, don't believe the zestimate. Also, Zillow sells your info, so if you create an account, everyone and their brother now has your info. Get a good realtor. (I am one currently). Go by recommendations of friends. Also, when you "get them to lower commission" you don't see how much work goes on behind the scenes. I used a discount realtor once, she made so many mistakes it ended up costing us more $$ in the long run. They have a lot of stuff to pay for that you don't see, plus the broker takes a cut. Interview several and go with someone you feel comfortable working with. The top producers aren't always the best realtors as they can be numbers driven and not people driven. I bend over backwards to help my clients and they notice! It is a stressful time, get someone who cares.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Believe Faintly artistic. Those Zillow estimate include foreclosures and people who are behind on their mortgages. Plus , when you discount a realtors fee , do you think they are really working as hard for you or the one that will pay more.
    Like I said, if you offer a higher commission (say 10% instead of 6%) then every realtor is going to be looking at your listing and thinking who they might have that would like it. This also gives you more negotiating room with your realtor. Lets say they get an offer for 2% less than asking price...they might be willing to kick in part of their commission to make the deal work. Like she says, the expenses for a realtor are huge. They usually split their commission 50/50 with the selling agent. Then their broker will take 1/2 of that for office expenses and supervision which only leaves them with 1/4th of the commission. Now, the broker pays for the advertising and gets to claim it as a sale.
    So, when you look at the top sellers, another myth begins. If you call the BIG GUY, he probably will send out a minion to look at your property...he has a team...that's why his sales look so much bigger than the independent realtor.
    Find a realtor that is FULL TIME, ( not a bored Dr's wife), and hungry and out there hustling, not just for listings (remember, if another realtor sells their listing its still a count for them) and let them be a DUAL agent because sometimes the buyer will go to the listing agent and they know about their own listings so they will be better equipped to make a good pitch to sell it.

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned many houses, and always sold them for nice profits. Our houses were always clean and well maintained, and with an ex who was OCD about cleanliness, they also sold for asking price. When DH and we're getting together, we sold both of our houses above asking price. There was what you call a bidding war, and within 2 days of listing. This made it easy to move into our 'together' home. This is why I am so determined to get things fixed after or before they break. Preventative maintenance is always cheaper in the long run, whether it's body or home.

Now we are having to deal with selling FIL home in Kansas. After my weeklong stay there, it's going to be more than a challenge. We have been decluttering, and during this time I have hired a company to come in and finish the job. They estimate 7-9 dumpsters to take it away. Most of it is hoarding by DH's sister who barge herself in the house. The cars and junk is all being removed. In the time I was there, we found important papers and family photographs, and I cleared out one bedroom. I removed the 40+ year old carpet to reveal beautiful hardwood floor. Once the remaining rooms are cleared, we will remove carpets and get cleaners in to clean. It's a house that needs repairs, but it's very solid.

We have met with realtor, and she gave us comparables, but it's the neighbourhood that brings down values. We shall meet again once house is empty.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

20. Thanks Carolnnc, Star lover thanked for this post