Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP July 27 - Aug 2, 2018

Good morning all. I hope your week is going well!

I got my big project submitted on Wednesday, despite some last minute re-work. (Budget was revised after they gave me the projected numbers last month, which meant that changes cascaded through several sections of my project....) What a relief. Of course, that now means that I'm scrambling to get the NORMAL end of the month work done. There are times I count the months until I retire (still at least three or four years away ).

On the crafting front. I did get the little mug rug pieced and will share it when I get it quilted (very simple walking foot quilting, I think) and bound. I would really like to get it in the mail this coming week.

It's darling, even if I do say so myself.

Remember "It was the 80s"? I've got the applique for the Honeybee block all prepped and as soon as the mug rug is in the mail, that will be my focus. I was hoping to have this quilt to the LAQ by now, but I don't even have all the blocks done yet, yet alone the assembly. I would really love to get my quilting mojo back!!! But work = money = fabric LOL.

How are your summer plans progressing?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP July 27 - Aug 2, 2018

I need to get busy, I have two projects that need finishing before Thursday. One quilt is sandwiched and the other almost quilted. I only lack the borders. Both are smallish so it should get done. Today I need to go to the bank but when I get back I can get going.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the Birthstone Emerald block and posted a picture in Show &Tell. I managed to get the two y seams installed and only had to use the seam ripper once. I am getting better at y seams but I don't think we are ever going to be best friends. Here is a picture with the first y seam installed ready for the second y seam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4465.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	154079

I ordered 2.5 yards of Hoffman Digital Shine On Spectrum Gems Hoffman Challenge in black. I may use it for the border, or maybe the backing fabric. Not sure if it will work or will overwhelm the quilt.

I picked out the colors for the Birthstone Peridot block and will start cutting fabric tomorrow. Just three more blocks to go and I can assemble the quilt.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Yanna, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

DeniseSm, I just love this series of blocks. They are just beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the whole quilt!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise - Beautiful emerald block. That's my stone.

No sewing planned this week as I am away from home. But I do get to touch and pet the fabric that I bought at M* on Thursday. Jenny's trunk show and meet and greet was funny, inspiring and emotional. I don't think there was a dry eye. Now that I have driven to Wichita, I realized I exercised far too much restraint, and should have gone crazy. I was trying to be reasonable as my luggage was misplaced by the airline, and my spare empty bag was in there. I didn't want to purchase two if it didn't show up. Luckily it arrived at the hotel near Hmailton, just as I was about to leave.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This past Friday one of the ladies in our little quilting group taught the rest of us how to do paper piecing. I've been wanting to learn & even have 2 Craftsy classes on the subject. I just haven't sat down and watched them. Having someone show us first hand worked great for me. We had a fun day working on a Christmas tree wall hanging. I will post pictures soon when I finish the tree. Thinking of giving it a Grinch theme in the border with left of Grinch fabrics. Guess I better get back to it.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished one of my quilts on Friday and delivered it to Minneapolis this weekend, only to find out that not only does my friend have esophageal cancer (who I made the quilt for) but his wife's cancer (ovarian) is back for it's third appearance in eight years. My heart breaks for them, but it was so good to deliver a care package and lots of hugs.

I'm binding the quilt for my other friend with prostate cancer, and hope to mail that this week, then I will bind my niece's quilt. It will be good to have 3 completed quilts out the door in a short time, it clears the table for new projects! I only have one UFO that I can think of left!!

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Argh!!! Brain melt down. I only have two Birthstone blocks left to do. Pulled out the Birthstone Diamond. Eek. Teeny tiny long narrow pieces. Doesn't look like fun to me. What to do. Decided to do another block I already did but in diamond colors. Picked my favorite block the Pink Tourmaline. Trying to decide what color goes where.

This is really hard. I am getting a small glimpse of what MJ Kinman went through to shade these faceted gems.

Done venting now. Thanks for listening. I better get back to work.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm almost finished with my second quilt, was working on binding last night and it started to hurt my wrist (I have a messed up left wrist joint). so I had to call it quits. Will need to pace myself to finish it, but it's 3/4 of the way done so two more sit-downs and I should be good! then I have to tie off and tuck in threads from how I quilted it... I'm also going to wash it before I send it because I don't want them to freak when the batting shrinks up a bit. I used Hobb;s heirloom and I have to say that I prefer the Warm & Natural... but it's too late to turn back now!!

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I delved into the box of Orphans that Sewbuzzy sent me and have added to some of the blocks from my stash to make my 5x5 squares into the 4 patches... now have enough to make a nice size quilt. esp if I sash them.

I was getting so far behind that I had the guild ladies start putting together squares and tops from the stash everyone had sent me. We all work to have quilts for the abuse center and intensive care unit for pediatrics at our hospital. It's a years worth of work that is near and dear to our hearts. Long Arm quilters volunteer their thread and time, too!! It's a win/win. Once I have a top finished, It will go to one of the LA quilters.. We have a fund for batting and backing so that every top gets finished.

I myself, have an average of 10 quilts a year going directly to the Abuse Center... along with hand made hats and scarves. (I have to keep my hands busy)

Off to rest my eyes from todays sewing binge... tomorrow I should have the 4 patch top finished.