Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star construction ?

This is a question about matching seams in each diamond segment of the star. Each segment is made from strip piecing with the appearance of twenty little pieces (5x4). That's a lot of seams to match when sewing the strips together.

I've done a good job to insure my cutting is accurate. The seam allowances are consistent. Each stripset piece is as exact as possible as fabric can be. When I lay them out side by side before joining, the seams are straight and match perfectly.

But when you sew the strips together there's always one or two seam intersections that are off a hair. Of course everything's on the bias, and I'm blaming most of it on this.

Got any good tips matching up the strips before sewing?
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lone Star construction ?

Nesting the seams and use a stiletto.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it is only "one or two seam intersections that are off a hair" them no one is going to notice it but you. Seriously on a Lone Star people are admiring the beautiful color arrangements made by the pattern of the lone star layout. They are not going to get out a magnifying glass to look at your seam intersections.

If you are determined to get every intersection perfect the only solution I know that works is to pin match every intersection. This is a time consuming process. Because the intersections meet at an angle you can't nest them, and you can't glue them. The pin match must be for the scant quarter inch you are sewing, not a perfect quarter inch. I use fine pins. A normal pins can distort the fabric as it is inserted. Take two small bites with the pins for ultimate hold, instead of one long bite.

Good luck and happy quilting
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Grey Lady thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I simply put a pin in the intersections when I sew. Yes, I have time.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I like Kaye Wood's explanation minute 11:52 Maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5ynORntGA

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My ipad is not letting me put a picture here. I do have a picture captured how to match all those angle acurately. Go here for pic
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/al...hmentid=120311
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses so far. It confirms my suspicions about the problem. That being the stretch from the joining on the bias.

You are correct Denise- Can't nest seams because of the diagonal intersections. Also the seams are pressed open. I am pin matching (but not pinning) the intersections and that is what helps most. That and starching the dickens out of the top strip and lowering the presser foot pressure.

Perfection? It's a goal but not a reasonable expectation, given the sheer number of intersections and the size of the strips. Finished diamonds are 1 inch. I love the challenge. Because of the nature of the fabric one is going to miss a few. Five or six out of 320 is not something I'm gonna get frustrated over but if you don't strive for perfection...

I'll post some pics here soon.