Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default When SITD what stitch length?

Just quilting some basic straight line quilting. 80/12 needle on 100% cotton, quilting weight with cotton batting.

I usually use whatever my default stitch is (2.5) but went to a 3 for this project. I can see and feel the difference. I like it for this project, but it made me wonder what is “standard rule of thumb.” I don’t machine quilt often and always doubt myself, but then it all turns out good in the end anyway!!

Don’t ask me for thread weight, I know it’s from connecting threads because their thread is a common stocking stuffer from DH

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When SITD what stitch length?

My 'go to' stitch length (for both quilting and SITD) for the average quilt is 3.0 - I like how it looks

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

i feel like my walking foot works better at 3.0. My machine defaults to 2.5 and when I use that stitch with the walking foot I get loads of thread breakage and tension issues.
    Gaye

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My walking foot likes stitch length 3.0
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Another 3.0 girl here too. I like the look of seeing the thread. Plus it seems to move the stitches along better for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, gosh, I must have read it somewhere before today!! LOL!! I loved it at 3, a lot less drag than at 2.5

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also vote for "3"! Too tight and it puckers. I like a short stitch when piecing but a longer stitch when quilting. Even on my Longarm, I use a "12" and also use the stitch regulator. Anything shorter and I would have a horrible time ripping it out. And Murphy's law is that if I used a shorted stitch length, I would mess up enough to have to rip it out - either that or pull my hair out!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I also vote for "3"! Too tight and it puckers. I like a short stitch when piecing but a longer stitch when quilting. Even on my Longarm, I use a "12" and also use the stitch regulator. Anything shorter and I would have a horrible time ripping it out. And Murphy's law is that if I used a shorted stitch length, I would mess up enough to have to rip it out - either that or pull my hair out!
    I also like 3 on my domestic for quilting and 12 on my longarm, except when outlining applique. I am currently using 14 for this and it helps with the smaller curves.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use 3.0 stitch length for SITD or cross hatching using the walking foot. But I use a Top Stitch 90-14 needle & 40 wt. cotton thread both top & in the bobbin. It's not necessary to back track at the start & finish. Just reduce your stitch length to 1.0 or 1.5 for 2-3 stitches. Just remember to set it back to 3.0. I also use the 3.0 stitch length when sewing on bindings. You can do SITD on a LA using a quilting ruler. One of the LA quilters at our guild uses the Microquilter 100 wt. thread, which I think is available from Superior. It's a 2-ply polyester thread. I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by JCY; July 23rd, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

13. Thanks Ctbab thanked for this post