Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian shipping question

Hi . This is question for my fellow Canadian shoppers. Can anyone comment on their experience recently with the new tariffs that are apparently now in place. I wanted to place an order from MSQC but very worried of the sticker shock once I pay the shipping, the exchange, duty and any new tariffs

Any input would be so helpful. I just cannot find what I am looking for in precuts in Canada.

Thanks
    Shelley
    Last edited by Smg1678; July 21st, 2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Shelley

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canadian shipping question

I recently received an order placed after July 1st imposed tariffs. It was a regular order, processed and received with no extra duties or customs or tariffs imposed. The order was for about $75 US. When I order, I watch for free shipping to US, as it is reduced for us Canuks. Its still pretty reasonable, as I have paid much more from other US and Canadian sites for shipping.

In all the years of ordering from M* and Connecting Threads, I have only been dinged twice for customs. I think it was mostly since the majority of my order was for templates, tools and gadgets. These get flagged as tools. The handling fee was like $10-15 and custom $5. I felt it was more of a money grab by Customs, but I learned from this. Now I don't place orders with just tools.

I find the prices reasonable for yardage and even if I add the exchange between 1.30-1.40 the cost per yard is cheaper than many of the LQS which are now selling fabrics between $20 and $30/m. You will have to pay the tax based on your province, and I am ok with that, as it does flag a customs' ticket.

I say go for it if you cant find what you want from your LQS or Canadian on-line vendor.
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; July 21st, 2018 at 04:24 PM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canadian shipping question

I've ordered several times with MSQC in the last few years and only caught on duties once. I had ordered charm packs..this was listed on the customs forms and was charged duty for jewelery. I called customs and was told to send in the forms and was refunded my monies due to the error. I always try to keep my orders under $75 USD and it works great. Definitely worth it when compared to spending $20-30/meter.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post