• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rabbott
    Shiny Thimble
    • Jul 2018

Can I quilt with this thread?

I will soon be free motion quilting for the first time (just on a normal sewing machine) and am hoping for some advise on thread choice. I have very limited thread options locally but I have found a color I like. It is a 100% cotton thread with a weight of 30. Could it work? Will it be too noticeable or hard on my sewing machine?

Thanks!
  • quiltsRfun
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2011

Re: Can I quilt with this thread?

Try it on a scrap sandwich of the same fabric as the quilt to see if you like the look. It’s always good to practice with the same materials as the quilt before doing the real thing. Be sure to share with us when it’s finished.

Comment

• Deegles
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2014

My machine does better with 30 wt on the top and 50 wt in the bobbin. Part of machine quilting is figuring out thread. Good advice for practicing on a scrap before you start.
      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

30 wt. thread is heavier than you need. I had to have the tension in the bobbin adjusted for 30 wt. thread, which was YLI. 40 wt. works better for FMQ. Angela Walters uses a lot of 50 wt. thread as well. The heavier the thread, the more it will show. I've always used the same wt. thread in the bobbin as the top.

Comment

• snowbird
          Batting Beauty
          • Dec 2010

I have had successful results using 30wt in both top and bobbin for machine quilting. I like the look of the heavier quilting thread on my civil war and folkart projects. All personal preference for each of us. As mentioned above, I would first do a trial stitch out on a sample sandwich of the same fabrics.

An afterthought: I do use a size 16 titanium needle (Superior) when using the 30wt because it eliminates shredding of the thread.

Comment

• Brian
            UN-Biased
            • Sep 2017

You can actually make any thread work, it's a matter of preference. Heavier threads will not "pull" down into the fabric as much and appear bolder which can be a good thing. Fine threads can appear to almost disappear. Don't be afraid to experiment. I have know people who have used the same brand, same weight, same everything for years, the reason being that they never learned how to adjust their machine. We have an Innova longarm, a Juki 2010, a Juki industrial, and a Consew walking foot. They will all sew with any thread we put on them, just maybe a little tweak to bring things in line. There is no special "quilting thread" that is just marketing, if you notice the price is usually higher on an item when it is labeled "for quilting" . I purchase everything I can from the vendors that specialize in the garment industry as what they offer is high quality and proven to work and usually much less expensive. So long story short, You can quilt or piece with pretty much any thread that you can find. Just a matter of preference.

Comment

• Carolyn
              The Guild President
              • Jul 2013

Just a comment, I like the look of 30 wt. on my reproduction quilts also.
              sigpic

Comment

• Grey Lady
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2015

I have used 30 weight and like the results. It is bolder, which is sometimes just right. Pls come back & show us your quilt.
                Diana Grey

Comment

• Vonnie
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2013

If my machine likes it, I use it! I sometimes use embroidery thread on top and a matching cotton thread in the bobbin. On my longarm and my regular sewing machine.
                  Vonnie

Comment

• lourixe
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2013

I have also used 30 wt thread for FMQing. You just need a thicker needle. When using thicker thread I usually pick up an all over design with spaced quilting lines (1-2").

Comment

• Rabbott
                      Shiny Thimble
                      • Jul 2018

Thanks everyone!

It seems to be working good. I'm just playing with the tension now. It is ok if a little bobbin thread is visible on top? If I loosen the tension any more the back has loops.

If the link works, the top is the polkadot fabric.

Comment

• quiltsRfun
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2011

You might try adjusting the bobbin tension. Refer to owner’s manual and adjust a little at a time.

Comment

• grammaterry
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

Best thing to do is just DO IT!! If you don't like it, don't do it again. That's the wonder of quilting, different results with different stuff
                          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                          Terry of NC

Comment

• Kas
                            Machine Stitcher
                            • Jul 2018

I agree the bobbin tension needs to be tightened just a teeny bit.
                            Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                            X