Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilts from my “stash”

I have what some would call an enormous amount of fabric. Have to admit, it is a lot! Lots of fat quarters among many yardage pieces and various sizes of “leftovers”. Trying to use what I have so I can buy more! . I have started to cut some into 10”, 5” squares and 2 1/2” strips. My question to you, my new quilting friends, is mostly regarding my yardage and fat quarters. Should I cut them up now or decide on a specific quilt first? I have been a quilter for many years and am in awe of the new ways to do things that I have learned from this site. I absolutely love it!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilts from my “stash”

I wouldn't cut it up personally. I save yardage for backings if I have nothing planned for it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would not cut the fabric either. If you cut squares, you will need strips, if you cut strips you will need yardage, etc. simply wait until you know what your project will be and go from there.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I like to decide on the pattern first before I cut. I find I work best when my stash is divided up by color. I'm also finding that scrap quilts have become my new favorites. It's amazing how little fabric it takes if you are using quite a few at a time. When I get a piece of fabric that is less than an 1/8 of a yard I'll try to get at least 1- 2.5" strip and then will cut the rest into 5" or 2.5" squares. That way I can use patterns for jelly rolls, charm packs and mini charms for these scraps. I then separate them by color and store them in stacking plastic containers that I can easily access when I find a pattern that strikes my fancy. I'm a great lover of blogs and Pinterest and find lots of inspiration there.
    Gaye

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I personally do not cut up yardage, but all scraps get cut into usable size pieces. I keep fat quarters as is, but once cut into.....the rest becomes scraps...so cut.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut up nothing (including scraps) until I know what I'm going to use it for. I keep FQs together in a plastic 3-drawer storage unit. Many of them I've bought from the orphan corner at my LQS for only $1./each. I use the more plain fabrics to make FQ sized sandwiches for FMQ practice.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Organize the fat quarters by colour / theme, same for yardage. Don't cut up until you know what pattern you are making.

scraps and odd pieces, I have a shoe box, for binding ends (which happen to be 2 1/2'' wide.

Bonnie Hunter has a good link on her site, with cutting up scraps for scrappy quilts. If you feel the need to cut.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't cut up yardage or fat quarters because my ideas change from year to year. I'd be mad at myself if I realized I could have used that yardage/fat quarter and it's now 2 1/2" strips.

I have a basket that anything smaller than a fat quarter gets tossed into. It's a small basket because I'll get overwhelmed & never cut the scraps if I build up a giant pile. I cut the pieces into 2", 3 1/2" and 5" squares. I used a system from a book called "Scrap Therapy, Cut the Scraps". The squares go into see thru boxes that are marked with each size. This collection is my "I have no more fabric & am to broke to buy any."

Welcome to the Forum!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't cut up yardage either - my stash isn't huge but I'd rather wait until I have a specific project in mind. Anything FQ size or larger but less than a yard, I told up a d keep in a zipper bag from msqc. A yard or more goes on the shelf. Scraps...lordy. lol. I just started separating scraps - crumbs (less than a charm square) go in one bin, larger/longer trimmings go in another to be cut up into 2.5", 2", and/or 1.5" strips or squares (I did stop cutting 1.5" squares - can't see myself doing piecing that's that fiddly, lol, but if so, I can cut them out of the strips).

I've already made a cute baby top out of 16 patch 2" squares & I have what feels like a bazillion flying geese, lol, all done as leaderes/enders. I learned about Bonnie Hunter from reading forum posts here and I love the method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to Bonnie Hunters scrap user system.
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html
    If you cut up your stash you will need to organize, and this is a good guide.
    Personally if I have yardage, it stays yardage. If I have 1/3 yd or less, perhaps as large as a fat quarter, I put all those in a drawer to use up first, and cut them when a pattern is decided upon.
    Your method sounds fun and adventurous! Have fun in your stash, it will never be the same as today again!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/