Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Cool WiP July 20 - 26, 2018

How's everybody doing? I'm making headway on my big annual project at work. Still about another week to go, but I'm getting down to management review and approvals. That's a huge load off my mind, tbh.

Work has rather gotten in the way of my crafting this week. Still have a bit to go on the mug rug for the swap before I can quilt it. Lots of tiny pieces in that small thing LOL. Hope to have the piecing done this weekend, though.

Picking up the lawn mower tomorrow morning, so there will also be yard work this weekend, weather permitting. I'm going to have to rake the front lawn first, though. We had 80 mph straight line winds tear through yesterday and my yard looks like giants have been playing pick up sticks from all the little branches that were knocked out of my two oak trees!

How are things in your neck of the woods?

2. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP July 20 - 26, 2018

It is so hot here. It is supposed to hit 109 without the heat index today.

I am working on the Birthstone Aquamarine block. It is half way through assembly. I tried really hard to use turquoise blue colors to differentiate the block from the Sapphire block.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4441.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	153891

I should finish sometime tomorrow. I will probably start the Birthstone Alexandrite block next. I am going to do it in shades of orange, instead of the blues MJ choose. I think the quilt needs more warm colors for balance.

The Alexandrite blocks has a lot of inset seams. There may be some pirate language involved, and higher than normal use of my seam ripper.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a lovely day. I've been making lavender bags in various shapes for fundraising for my friend and had a hissy fit yesterday when I couldn't find the lace to use. Today was me march into my sewing room, quickly make a small lavender pillow then set about cleaning up!! 6 hours later I'm nearly done and found found the lace!! I've still a few bits to sort out but I'm really happy with the result.

After our evening meal I went back into the sewing room and sat down to chain stitch the components of a quilt I'm making for me and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've sorted all my ongoing small projects for the fundraising, ie cosmetic bags etc into one place and can now pick them up easily to work on in amongst my other sewing (they had been scattered around). And I've found all my fabric dies and can now store them in my shelves for easy access.

Such a sense of achievement as I can now move around the sewing room with tripping over something!!

Hope everyone has a good week.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a lovely day. I've been making lavender bags in various shapes for fundraising for my friend and had a hissy fit yesterday when I couldn't find the lace to use. Today was me march into my sewing room, quickly make a small lavender pillow then set about cleaning up!! 6 hours later I'm nearly done and found found the lace!! I've still a few bits to sort out but I'm really happy with the result.

After our evening meal I went back into the sewing room and sat down to chain stitch the components of a quilt I'm making for me and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've sorted all my ongoing small projects for the fundraising, ie cosmetic bags etc into one place and can now pick them up easily to work on in amongst my other sewing (they had been scattered around). And I've found all my fabric dies and can now store them in my shelves for easy access.

Such a sense of achievement as I can now move around the sewing room with tripping over something!!

Hope everyone has a good week.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening.

Threadbndr - heading down to KS next week. I'm hoping that there is a cool spell.

This week I sandwiched another large lap quilt. It is ready for quilting, but I'm not certain I will have time before I fly on Wednesday to Missouri. I managed to squeeze a visit to M*QC for a few days before I head to Wichita. I also made a passport holder and padded case for my iPad.

I also finished the last of 4 Victoria quilts and attached labels. Today I handsewed the binding on another quilt. The pile of tops are getting finished. Going to eventually have to start thinking who these all will be for. It's been so hot, that I stay indoor. The hard and garden are starting to suffer from the lack of rain.

I got another order from M* this week I keep getting more fabrics from here and there as there are lots of summer sales. I folded these and put them away, by project. The latest is a collection by Jason Yenter for In The Beginning. I picked up a DD and yardage, then had a coupon at a LQS so I picked up more. It matches beautifully, and it is such a nice quality of digitally printed fabrics. I feel like a sweat shop at times, but I love the peacefulness and quiet time when I am being creative.

Nothing much planned except packing and researching contacts for services I may need in KS. That part is not going to be as much fun. My FIL is going Into a home. Not sure how he will react. Also going to assess what needs to be done to empty the house, to put up for sale. I may only meet wig realtor. DH & I will go back in August to get started. It's just too hot there for our taste at this time to do much.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks birdscraps thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!! I’m still alive, and am finally mostly unpacked and functional in the house here. A few odds and ends to do, and quilting to organize, but mostly I’ve stopped cleaning and organizing the past few days. One of my best quilts friends came to town and we had a great visit!

I finished the top for my friend J, it was 12 blocks that needed sashing and that got done and dropped at the long arm. I asked for it ASAP as he is quite sick, and I dropped it on Friday, she meandered it yesterday and I’ll pick it up today. It’s good to have a long term relationship with the long arm!!!

My quilt for D is being quilted by ME and I got most of it done yesterday and hope to finish it today. Then I’ll have lots of binding to be doing for both but that never bothers me. This is good because I also have to bind my niece’s quilt and send that to her!! THEN we will see what’s next...

11. Thanks birdscraps, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a sit and sew the last two days and got a couple of tops well on their way to completion.

Name:	curved log cabin.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	153920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monthly chalenge.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	153921
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; July 22nd, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

13. Thanks birdscraps, kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Village quilt to the longarmer through a scary rainstorm...nobody else on the interstate seemed to be slowing down but I kinda like to see when I drive...and it was pouring. Now I am cross stitching another wise man for the nativity set. I bought the sashing fabric for my Blooms and Bliss Floating Hexagon quilt top but have no desire to cut or sew at present. I have a furry minky fabric for backing it and I'm not going to use batting so it will be nice and lightweight. My heavy comforter actually makes my legs ache. Oh the fun of getting old...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the Birthstone Alexandrite block done in orange. These were the easiest inset seams I have ever done. I followed MJ Kinmans instructions with no problems. No pirate words were said. The seam ripper was not used.

Name:	100_4448.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	153973

Name:	100_4454.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	153974
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

16. Thanks kimsophia, birdscraps, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting some strip stitching.. making 9 patches for a future quilt. No one in mind,, I just need to get these orphan strips together and out of my box of "extras".

Got all the sashing on my granny square quilt and tomorrow will get the top done.. then I get to shop for backing fabric. Right now I'm not sure how large this top will be. It's a Christmas gift so I should be able to get it all done in time.. (lol-- I'm a slow quilter so I haven't said anything about giving it to a special someone)... LOL.

Then it's back to putting together "orphans" . I've got 3 quilt tops done.. and needed to take a break away from the challenge of putting different size blocks together and making them all play nice together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	granny sq small.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	153984  
    Last edited by Granny Judy; July 24th, 2018 at 03:17 AM.

18. Thanks birdscraps thanked for this post