• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toggpine
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2009

Smokey Night Owl

We have had some heat here the last few days. Pretty much anything 80+ makes us think we are going to melt around here. We've been in the 90s and rather unpleasant as most of us don't have A/C in our houses.

The burn ban went into effect last week, but it seems that not everyone was following the rules. There are two fires burning on Harstine island and we are getting the smoke and ash fallout here at our house. We usually open the windows to pull in cool air, but this is pretty bad. I may have to close up the house. I have already taken a second dose of sinus meds, and I'm still stuffing up and getting more snorkely. I am kind of worried about our older neighbor. She has breathing issues anyway. I'll call her in the morning and see how she is doing. I know she has a window air conditioner, so that should help her some.

I know Joy was dealing with wildfires and smoke at her place too. The firefighters had to suspend the water drops they were making because someone was flying a drone in the area. I'm hoping that whoever was flying it wasn't intending to cause problems. The authorities are asking anyone with info to call in. I hope they are able to resume the air drops tomorrow and get the fire contained.

I think I'm going to head off to bed and nurse my sinus headache. Hopefully it will be gone by in the morning!
    What's up in your neck of the woods?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Re: Smokey Night Owl

I hope they get your fires under control. I cannot imagine the health issues that smoky air can cause, especially the elderly. You are a good neighbour to check on older neighbours. We have been having extreme heat and health warnings, but we may have had a bit of relief. This evening we had thunder and lightning, but yeah also much needed rain, and the reason I've been up since 2am. We have a lovely metal roof and also cathedral ceilings, so we do get the noise. Usually it doesn't bother me, but I could hear the cats scrambling around to hide.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

Snorkely? Love that word.

Why suspend water drops because of someone's drone? Give me a break - if they can't control the drone to avoid the water drops then they deserve to lose it.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

The firefighters in Colo. had problems with drones, too. Our governor made a public announcement to stop it immediately, that it was hindering the work of the fighting the fires. People's curiosity runs away with them. Common sense is not common anymore.

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

I hope they get the fires under control. So many people have breathing problems. I agree with Joy, common sense isn't common any more, and Sandy- if they're keeping the fire fighters from doing their jobs, they do deserve to loose their little (expensive) toys.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• pcbatiks
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            Snorkely? Love that word.

Why suspend water drops because of someone's drone? Give me a break - if they can't control the drone to avoid the water drops then they deserve to lose it.
            Snorkely……..a funny word……yes……….but I knew exactly what Cathy meant! I get snorkely feeling when I'm in a stuffy room with no air circulation.

Hope the smoke clears soon. It sounds miserable. I can't even imagine not having AC where I live. We need it most of the year.

Hope you feel better soon Cathy.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• toggpine
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2009

I don't think they are concerned with destroying the drone per se. My impression was they were more concerned that the dumb thing would get jammed up in an engine or do other damage to the planes making the drops. That would seriously affect not only this fire, but all the rest they will have to fight during the season if the planes are out of commission. Even worse would be if They crashed and people lost their lives.

I think we can all agree that common sense is not a flower that grows in every garden these days.

Some good news on the fire front. The one on the island was completely knocked down by last night, with crews left to monitor hot spots. The other one near Shelton was not, and that was the one we were getting the smoke and ash from. I hope they have more success today on that one.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• chelea
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2012

This might be old news, but were you following Ricky Tims with the fires in CO? His home was spared despite being surrounded by the fire. Seems a miracle.
                Michele
                ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• JCY
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2013

Drones ~ Yes, they interfered with the planes & helicopters making drops on the fires.

Ricky Tims ~ I didn't know he lived in Colo.

Comment

• MaggieSue
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2015

Amazing story by Ricky Tim.

Comment

Working...
                    X