Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for sweet pickle recipe

Hi: I am having an abundance of cucumbers this year. I have not really done pickles but am about pickled out. My daughter put in a request for sweet pickles. Not bread & butter. My mother in law used to make some that she would use (?) alum and let sit in a crock? If anyone has an easy recipe and one that can "canned" so I don't have to put in my fridge - would greatly appreciate. Thank you.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for sweet pickle recipe

There was a thread on this last year I think. I'll try and find it

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mom made some pickles with turmeric, cucumbers and onions. They looked weird, being so yellow but tasted good. I'll see if I can find that recipe this afternoon.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I make Sweet Garlic Dill Pickles. They are easy to make, can be done in one day, and can be preserved in glass jars. We usually make 3-4 dozen large jars every year, for us and gifts. I can assure you that people who receive it ask for more. I have also taught several of my friends how to make them, as they want lots.

This recipe can be found in The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard. Over 300 easy recipes.

12-16 pickling cucumbers (1 1/2" -2" diameter)
    4 large cloves garlic
    4 heads fresh dill (or seed if fresh is not available)
    1/2 tsp celery seed (per pint / 500ml jar) so double up for quart/1L jar.
    2 cups white vinegar
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. large salt (recipe says pickling)
    1/8 tsp turmeric

- wash cucumbers and dry. Cut thin slice off the ends. My tip: I keep them whole, as they keep up to 3 years. Recipe says to cut in quarters lengthwise, but I have found that they only last 2 years and go soft.

- wash and boil jars in large pot / canner. Remove and put on towel. Place garlic, dill, celery seed and pack in the cucumbers. I am generous with garlic as it is delicious. You can adjust quantity you put in jars depending on the size you use. If in doubt, add more dill or garlic.
    - meanwhile combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt and turmeric in large pot and bring to a boil. Pour boiling vinegar mixture over cucumbers to within 1/2" of rim (headspace).

-Use Mason jars with new lids. Screw tops on but not completely tight. Process in a bath of boiling water (10 min for small) (15 mins for large jars). Follow canning instructions. Remove from water bath and set on towel and wait for the pop of lid. If you can push down on centre of lid and it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. This can take up to 30 mins, but it's like an orchestra of lid popping. Screw top tight. I leave mine to sit for 1 day, then store in a cool dry spot. If you can wait, I let them sit for 2 weeks before we crack open this year's batch.

Enjoy!

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. It's a start.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patsquilting View Post
    Hi: I am having an abundance of cucumbers this year. I have not really done pickles but am about pickled out. My daughter put in a request for sweet pickles. Not bread & butter. My mother in law used to make some that she would use (?) alum and let sit in a crock? If anyone has an easy recipe and one that can "canned" so I don't have to put in my fridge - would greatly appreciate. Thank you.
    Hi try this sweet BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

Ingredients

2 dozen 3-inch cucumbers
    ½ cup pickling salt
    3-¼ cups apple cider vinegar, divided
    2-⅛ quarts water, divided
    6 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons whole cloves
    2 tablespoons pickling spices
    Instructions

Put 2 dozen 3-inch cucumbers, freshly picked, in a crock or a jar. A crock can be anything from an unchipped enamel crock to a big glass jar that supermarkets buy their pickles in. Check out our cucumber plant page to find out how to grow your own cucumbers.

Cover with a brine of ½ cup pickling salt, ¼ cup vinegar, and 2 quarts water.

Weight down the cucumbers (a plate with a canning jar full of water on top of it will do nicely), and cover the crock.

The fermentation of the cucumbers will cause a white, scummy substance to form on top of the brine. Every day for 2 weeks, check on your cucumbers and just skim the scum off if it is present.

After 2 weeks, drain, cut into chunks, and let them stand for 24 hours in cold water, and then rinse.

Combine 3 cups vinegar with 6 cups of sugar and ½ cup (⅛ quart) water. Tie 2 tablespoons each whole cloves and mixed pickling spices in cheesecloth, add to vinegar solution, and bring to a boil. Pour over cucumbers and let stand for 24 hours. Drain, reheat vinegar solution, and repeat process 4 times (this is only a 5-minute task each day).

Remove spices and pack pickles in sterile jars. Bring vinegar solution to a boil and pour over pickles. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patsquilting View Post
    Hi try sweet mango pickle.

Ingredients
    1 cup chopped mangoes
    2 tablespoon mustard powder
    1/2 tsp menthula
    3 tablespoon red chili powder
    1 tablespoon salt
    5 garlic piece
    3 tablespoon sesame oil

Preparation method
    Add chopped mangoes, chili powder, mustard powder, salt and 5 garlic piece
    Add sesame oil & mix all well.
    Cover it and set aside in a dry place for 28 hours or 30 hours..
    After 28 or 30 hours those mangoes releases the juice and mix well.. If you needed add salt and mix it well then store it in glass jar.
    It's my favorite sweet mango pickle
    I hope you like this try it once

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Found it... I think.

Crisp Pickles

4 quarts sliced medium cucumbers
    6 medium white onions, sliced
    2 green peppers, chopped
    3 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup coarse- medium salt
    5 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
    1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
    2 tablespoons mustard seeds
    3 cups cider vinegar

Do not pare cucumbers; slice thin. Add onions, peppers, and whole garlic cloves. Add salt; cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand for 3 hours; drain thoroughly.

Combine remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture. Heat just to boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Makes 8 pints.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your recipies. Right now - cucs have stopped (I pulled the plug so to speak) but have planted new seeds and the plants are growing. Just hope I feel better by the time they come in. Every one looks so good - Thank you.