Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quilting Funk

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting Funk

Kim, I am so very sorry for your loss. You have received many good suggestions here. Everyone processes grief in their own way. You will find your path through this in your own way and on your own time frame. Trust your instinct and do what feels right for you. As you go forward, remember that you can always find support here when you need it.

2. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Kim, I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel as I lost my husband March 23 - not even 4 months yet. We had celebrated our anniversary in December - 48 years. I have had a hard time working in my sewing room, I think, mainly, because he was always complimentary about everything I made. He was also an enabler - he gave me money for special occasions designated for "quilt shopping". We would also go on day trips and always ended up at a quilt shop somewhere. There is a lot of good advice here from our fellow forum members. In a day or two, come back and read through them again to refresh. As Jean said, "widowhood is no picnic". Take your time and move through it at a pace that is good for you. I am still trying to figure out how to work into my new life.

Nancy

4. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know what a hole it leaves in your heart. You really need to give yourself time to heal and be restored. Don't pressure yourself about having to sew....you will know when the time is right to pick it up again. Be gentle with yourself.....(((HUGS)))

6. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's such a difficult time and like others have said you need time to grieve.

I wouldn't worry about the wedding quilt, particularly if it is a gift you are giving. Years ago I wove an overshot bed quilt for my sister's wedding. They take a long time and I've been told several times that it's perfectly acceptable to give a gift within a year of the wedding date. So don't stress over that.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

8. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry about the death of your husband. Of course you cannot sew, there are probably many things that you just can't do right now. It takes time for the mind and heart to accept this change in your life and to find a way to move on. Maybe it would be helpful if you could write your feelings down in a notebook every day just to get them out, unless you have a close friend or sister who lives nearby who would be a willing listener. There is no right way or wrong way to grieve and no time table. It hurts no matter what and is the hardest thing in life that sadly we all must face at one time or other.

10. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Kim, I am so so sorry to hear about your husband. Take the time you need to grieve. Your funk will come back.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

12. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing group of people, I so appreciate all your kind words and advise. Just feeling so lost right now. I read all your comments and sent an email to my niece (wedding) and nephew & his wife (baby quilt) and explained how I just can't finish the quilts right now. They were so understanding and both said they will love them whenever they are completed. Blessings to you all.

14. Thanks MSN, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kim, I so understand what you mean, my husband has been gone for 9 years and I still have "funks" , and that is exactly what I call it " I am in a funk" . It will get where you can tolerate it better, it just that real hurt is always there. Just last week I was in a "funk" for quite a few days. It is almost like your car isn't running quite right.
    I sympathize with you, and you will get out of your sewing funk in time. Right now take what time you need to adjust to your new life. And soon the sewing will come I am sure. But for now take care of yourself, and don't feel bad for having any kind of " funk ". Truly thinking of you, and sending a prayer.

16. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your lose Kim, I'll be praying for you. Love and hugs!

18. Thanks grammakim04 thanked for this post