Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP July 13 - 19, 2018

Friday the 13th. Woooooooo...

Actually I usually have pretty good luck on the 13th.

I don't have a lot to report this week. I'm in one of my busy times at work and when I get home it's late (and so stinking hot) that I just want to be a bookworm and collapse.

I hit a stump with the mower (luckily right at the end of the yard work) and now it has to go to the small engine doc. A new blade at least. I need to remember to put the deck one notch higher so it doesn't happen again. That's better for the grass anyhow. At least with it this hot, the grass isn't growing much.

I'm hoping to get my little swap project done so I can get it mailed off. That's one of four "have to do's" this weekend, along with dropping the mower off, doing laundry and being ready to do the oblations at church if my daughter in law is under the weather.

Hope everybody is having a good day, despite the date!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP July 13 - 19, 2018

I got the first 5 Birthstones blocks done. I am working on Birthstone Garnet It is going to be challenging to inset an oval with points right on the edges into the background. Challenges make you grow, right?

I had a challenging time selecting colors from my stash. I kept reaching for the same reds and bright pinks that I used in Birthstone Pink Tourmaline because they look so pretty together. I had to force myself to put the pinks back and use brown and taupe like MJ selected. No point in having two jewels that look to similar.

Here is the colors I finally ended up using

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4412.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	153798
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well my plans to quilt last week were thrown out. I have been helping my daughter prep freezer meals, laundry and general housework. Her MIL came to sit the baby so we could work without interruption. Her 18 months leave of absence is coming to an end, going back to work in Sept. Cedric 18mos has been accepted at the same daycare as his sister Cassandra <3 and which is at the school where Max 5 goes to school. So it will be one drop off and pick up after she's back at work. But dinner time is challenging, so prepped meals make it easier.

It's supposed to rain today, so maybe I will sew today. Housework and errands are all done.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Viking is at the shop due to tension issues, setting its own tension has good and bad points, right now it is bad.
    I have to get some things ready to work on at a 3 day daytime retreat. We come home for the nights but are able to leave all our stuff there without worry.
    I got out some fabric from a recent guild yard sale and am planning to cut out a small curved log cabin. I need more than that to keep me humming for three days, maybe start the On Ringo Lake? I like to have things cut so I can just sew and sew some more.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I cut out the Half Hexis for the Sashed Half Hexi quilt the other day and have it ready to sew the top tomorrow

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was given 2 toppers donated to Linus which I promised to quilt!!! Big mistake, the batting is polyester and the first one I sewed sitd with a wavy line. When I had finished I noticed there were tucks across the back and the backing was very wavy - didn't like it so I have to rip if all out and will FMQ it.

I never have this problem with my own quilts and can only put it down to the batting as I only use 100% cotton on Linus quilts! So my 2 half days of sewing will take me a couple of days to unpick then I'll have to sandwich it again before quilting. The next one has also polyester batting and needs trimming before I can sandwich but I'll FMQ right away.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Mary. That is really to bad. How generous of you to tackle these quilts for project Linus.

I hated the one quilt I did with all polyester batting. I swore I would never use poly batting again.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am attempting to make a queen size and ugh! It looks okay but I have picked so many blocks apart to put diff color combinations together. She wants batiks, only blues and purples, so I had to go out and buy all the fabric. It has already cost me at least $150 bc I have no batiks in my stash. Had so much trouble finding blues of the right shade. It of desperation I bought a blue JR and after cutting a few strips had to undo them because the shade was too off. Same thing with a fat quarter of blues I ordered, they are all favoring a turquoise tinge, which looks terrible with all the purple and periwinkle I have in completed blocks that I am satisfied with. I am so used to working with prints that these colors are short of like working with solids and it is driving me up the wall. Piecing has never been my favorite part of quiltmaking. Thanks for letting me vent. If I ever finish this project ib will post a photo. I better finish it for all the money I have put into it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have finally unpacked about 85% of our luggage and shipment and got back to my sewing machine last night. I’m sashing and quilting a BOM project I did several years ago for a friend. I just want to finish it because he is really sick. I’m hoping my local shop will Long arm it for me quickly, or else I will end up doing it myself. I have a second friend with a second quilt but he is healthier so I’m trying to get it out to the one who needs it most. Anyway, I have cards and notes from other friends to send with, so time is of the essence!!

It feels good to sew again