Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Heather Guest

Default Re: Trade tarrifs and quilting

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Irate quilters with rotary cutters, pins, and scissors (but not the good fabric ones). There should be fear! We can rip a few seams while we are at it!
    The political halfwits would probably assume we were there to slice their pizzas with our rotary cutters. Lol

2. Thanks LLLinda, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Deegles thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

If it all comes to past, I think we will be amazed at how many items are affected by this. Even Maine lobster which many people depend upon around here.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about fabric. Most manufacturers use Japanese or Pacific countries for fabrics. Most of the new tariffs are geared toward China so some of the blades/tools may increase. I don't expect to see much change.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The good fabric and machines come from japan. But stuff for the big box stores like walmart and joanns comes from china.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

6. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just think what it will do to Hobby Lobby. ALL their merchandise comes from China.

Mmmm. I may have to rephrase that. All the labels I have seen are "Made in China". I don't know where their fabric comes from.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Japanese made fabrics are really nice quality. Unfortunately if you live in Japan, they are price higher than if you bought it in the US or Canada. Never understood that one.

I have been avoiding any products / food made in China. I know it's almost impossible, as prices are sooo cheap, but so are their standards.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

IF it means more jobs and more being made here (big if), then the short-term inconvenience of higher prices will be worth it. Change is always uncomfortable. But the only way people here will be able to afford to buy anything is if they have a decent job...

11. Thanks Claire Hallman, Deegles, SF Jen thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

We were talking about this in the quilting group I attend. Many are using up their stash and others and asking others in the group if they have a certain fabric they need and buying from one another. Fabric in Canada is so ridiculous right now....this week I purchased from a LQS 1 meter of fabric with unicorns so my 12 yr old granddaughter can make a pillowcase....with taxes, it came to over $20 Cdn.
    Makes it hard to purchase fabric and still enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was just at the linen store in town and pillowcases were plain white, regular sized and USD $14.99, So just think of the memories you are making with GD as buying one with unicorns would be ever so hard to find. She will remember the unicorn pillowcase forever, especially if she helps make it.

14. Thanks Midge thanked for this post