Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilt giving guide poll...

Hey there,
    When giving a quilt as a wedding gift, do you find out the colors, theme of the house, bedroom, or do you pick one you have made that is ready to go, or made ready to give to somone?

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt giving guide poll...

I do not give quilts for weddings. Most marriages are discarded quickly. And because there is not the respect of that sacriment, I believe many will not respect the quilt. If I give a quilt for a wedding, they are registered at a dept store, and I buy one there that goes with the color scheme of the bedding they have selected.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you know the couple's color and design preferences and gift a quilt that incorporates them, it's much more likely to get used. If it doesn't suit their taste, the quilt will get shoved into a closet--or worse.

No matter the occasion, I would only give a quilt to a quilt-worthy person or couple. Someone who understands and respects all the time, expense, and love that you put into it. I once listened in horror as a co-worker complained about the quilt her MIL had given them as a wedding gift. It was the wrong color, and wasn't stylish, etc. It broke my heart.

5. Thanks quiltingaway, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is for my niece... she loves quilts. If something happened, God forbid, she would still have the quilt I made her.

I was making the Diasappearing 9 patch madness in rich colors when she annouced her engagement... I decided I wanted to give it to her... my son thinks I should do one in her colors.

But, why wnhen I have a beautiful quilt finished that I can gift. She will get a quilt either way, she is family and she loves quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just give it to her. You can always use another blanket around the house for the couch or chair to snuggle in.

Lorie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    No matter the occasion, I would only give a quilt to a quilt-worthy person or couple. Someone who understands and respects all the time, expense, and love that you put into it.
    I have used the "quilt worthy" standard for many couples for both weddings and babies.
    If your niece is a quilt lover, I'm guessing she will love anything you make, regardless of the color. I think back to my 70's wedding and our color choices of rust, peach and avocado green and shudder. I'm sure the brides and grooms of today will shudder as well in another 40 years. Someone who appreciates the love and handiwork of a handmade quilt will love and cherish it forever.
    Gaye

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If she loves quilts and she loves you, the quilt color won't matter. Give it to her with love and she will understand

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In the past made a queen size quilt matching wedding colors but now I give a Christmas throw.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

12. Thanks quiltingaway, dwil23, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great question. I've never given a quilt as a wedding gift, but we received an afghan as a wedding gift. It was made by my husband's aunt, and I treasure it to this day almost forty years later. We still use it on our bed.

The afghan is brightly colored squares connected with the same width black "sashing" (if an afghan can have sashing). It never occurred to me that Aunt Eunice "should" have checked our colors. I knew how much work had gone into this queen-size afghan. A relative on my side of the family started to criticize the afghan because different dye lots of the black yarn had been used; I would have none of that. I love that afghan!

In other words, if you're gifting your quilt to the right person—and it sounds like you are—it doesn't matter what the colors are!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

14. Thanks dwil23, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above comments. I've also never made/gifted a wedding quilt. If I did I think, for me anyway, I would do it in white/off white/low volume, unless I knew their colors.
    During a recent tutorial Jenny mentioned that she gives picnic quilts as wedding gifts. What a wonderful idea that would surely be used.