Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt giving guide poll...

I have made one "Wedding Quilt"...for my granddaughter and husband. And even that was not made with "their colors" in mind. I loved this quilt as I made it, didn't even know about an impending marriage as I started it, but when engagement was announced, I knew this quilt was going to be theirs (AMEN, they loved it then and do to this day). To be honest, I made one and only one quilt with someone in mind, made a king sized turning twenty in what I thought was their color direction, and after having it professionally quilted and gifting, I didn't receive the reaction I hoped for ( I don't think we should ever "expect") and think it is probably in a closet. It's OK, not bad on the giftee. Just made me realize that I need to make and gift what I would love to receive. If it is not well received, the receiver will do whatever one wants with it. It will not hurt my feelings if they choose to not use it or give it away. If I loved making it, I will only hope they will like/love it enough to use it.
    Last edited by cv quilter; July 12th, 2018 at 07:56 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just give what I love and hope they love and only if I know they'll appreciate it!

I made a quilt hearsa ago and gave it as a gift to my MIL. She didn't wow over it, but OK. I started getting a funny feeling and finally I said I'd pay her for it. (She loved money more than anything!) she said yes, I took it back (a blue ribbon in the Michigan state fair). Not long afterwards mt BIL was visiting them and she had her MIL great grandmothers quilt....an antique (and she loved antiques......just not me) She said she was going to throw out that old blanket out.......he rescued it and gave it to me.

So happy I got my quilt back before she threw it out. I wouldn't have felt so bad if she gave it away or sold it......but throw away! Oh, the agony it would have caused......well she caused a lot of agony....

So give with your heart. That's all the matters in the end. And give what you love too.....why make what you don't like.....?

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the quilts I make I give to charity so I don't know quite how people feel about them. I have done one wedding quilt to date and it was done with the couple in mind. It was 4 years ago and every time I see the wife (they love out of state) she mentions the quilt, so I know that one was a home run. This year I am hoping to gift Christmas quilts to my family members. I am making what I like - if they don't care for them they all live out of state so I won't know! :-)
    Debbie

6. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

If your heart is in it, I would definitely gift the quilt. We have no control over what happens later. I agree with MSN-even when gifting baby quilts I try to match to colors or theme. It's actually kind of fun and challenging.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never made a quilt for a wedding present. I have made one throw for a 50th wedding anniversary and a few babies quilts. The wedding anniversary one was a big hit with the couple. I agree that Jenny's picnic quilt is a great idea for a gift.