Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question re robin's nest dilemna

I need help from bird-lovers and plant growers.

I have a three-tiered plant holder on my porch. This year I put a very nice plant on the top tier that my son gave me for Mother's Day. The top tier is about 5 feet off the ground. You can see the plant as you come down my stairs inside my home from an octagon window located at a landing on the staircase. The window is only about 3-4 feet away from the center of the plant.

On Saturday, my husband noticed a robin had made a nest in the plant. We also noticed the robin flew away every time anyone went by the window. So, my husband covered the window with white paper.

From that point on, we never saw the bird on the nest again, even though I looked several times during the day. I figured the white paper scared the bird away, and I assumed she had made another nest elsewhere. So yesterday I took the white paper down and planned to take the nest out of the plant.

Last night my husband went out and took the nest out of the plant and threw it away. When I found out he did that, I sent him out to retrieve the nest from the trash b/c I thought it might make for a nice decorative element since it was clean and new. He set the nest on the second tier of the plant holder.

This morning I got up and came down the stairs and noticed something in the plant. I looked closely, and sure enough, the robin is sitting in the plant (on the top tier). As I looked closely, the robin flew away, and sure enough, there is a nice blue egg sitting in the plant. No nest. Just in the middle of the plant.

Here is my dilemna. Should I go out and put the egg in the nest and the nest back in the plant? If I don't, my daughter pointed out I will have to let my plant die b/c I won't be able to water it since the egg is on the dirt. Even if I don't water it, the next question is whether a baby bird would be likely to fall out of the plant. However, if I do put the nest back where mama robin made it, and then put the egg in the nest, will mama robin abandon the egg? (The egg is litterally exactly where the robin originally made the nest.)

Does anyone have any idea how mama robin would react to my replacing the nest and moving her egg into it? Also, does anyone know how many eggs a robin lays? There is just one egg in there now (appeared between 8 p.m. last night and 8 a.m. this morning). However, this is one chubby robin. Could she still lay another/more egg/s?

If I just leave things as they are, is there a way to water a plant without pouring water on the top? Is there something I could fill with water and stick into the roots?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question re robin's nest dilemna

You can water a plant from the bottom. Put some in the saucer underneath the pot and when it soaks up you can add more. You can feel down in the pot from the top or stick a stick to see how far the dirt is wet. Every year a finch makes a nest and has babies in my mothers day plant and I water on the opposite side of the pot from the top.

3. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The robin may lay more eggs. We had a nest in a bush outside my front window this year. The momma robin laid 3 eggs total but all on different days. I read they can lay up to four eggs. We enjoyed watching her sit on the eggs and then seeing the babies once the eggs hatched. But I know not every one enjoys the robins like we do.

5. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was on an island in Mexico 20 years ago and the fishermen took me to a bird island where they picnicked. There were lots and lots of nesting birds and some of the eggs had fallen out of the nests. The fishermen, picked up the eggs and put them under the momma birds and they continued to nest. I think you should put the nest pack in the top plant and then using a clean towel, move the egg into the nest . I bet she'll be grateful.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Terry to move the nest back. There is a way to water called wicking https://www.pinterest.com/pin/284360163950068802/

Lorie

9. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We used to have a wreath on our front door until a robin made a nest there. She laid 4 eggs. We thought "how cute", until sometime after they hatched and started pooping and it dropped down the front of our door and the doorstep! We no longer have a wreath on our front door! Don't worry, we waited until the babies flew the nest.
    Vonnie

11. Thanks kaydee, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

So I went ahead and replaced the nest, and moved the egg into the nest. Sure enough we later saw her sitting on the nest.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

p.s. Kinda not looking forward to the poop! Yuck!

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOL toooo funny Vonnie

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.