Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scrappin' Night Owl

I'm working on one of my Secret Santa projects. It's the scrappy one. I like the idea of scrappy quilts and projects. I am just not wired to make them.
    I can't seem to just do random well. I have also found that because I want some control over the fabric placement it takes me longer to make something scrappy than not. I spent a hefty chunk of my afternoon sorting through the couple of bags of scraps I have kept over the years. I tossed a bunch of tiny stuff and hopefully have only kept stuff that will be used for this project. It was nice to gain the space those two bags were taking up.
    For those of you who enjoy the scrappy process, I applaud you. Keep up the great work! I will admire your skills and know my limitations!
    Time to turn in for the night, as I have plenty to do tomorrow!
    What's up in your neck of the woods tonight?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

2. Thanks birdscraps, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scrappin' Night Owl

Not sure why I am up, need to be up at 7am for work. I will get back to sleep in a bit. Thought I would check in the forum.

Gosh I have a scrap pile that I need to go through and create usable stash. I have never made a scrap quilt. With the cost of fabric these days you really need to make use of them.

I have plenty of projects to be done but my slump these days makes doing anything a chore. But I will get back to it soon. Sewing is such good therapy I really need to just get to it.

Happy Wednesday folks.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    Gosh I have a scrap pile that I need to go through and create usable stash. I have never made a scrap quilt. With the cost of fabric these days you really need to make use of them.

Happy Wednesday folks.
    I am almost 100% sure this is why I kept most of those scraps. Although when I went back to look at them, I realized that anything less than 1" wasn't really going to show up.
    I tossed it into the bag with all of the off-cuts from the serger. Those scraps are used to stuff pet beds by the kiddos in the up-cycle group at the school. (I texted the custodian and she let me drop them off in the supply room!)
    I know there is a group of folks who make crumb blocks out of the tiniest bits, but that is not me! I'm working on string-type blocks and possibly crazy-quilt strips. (I was gifted some adding machine tape that you use as a base to sew scraps to. Then you have scrappy jelly roll strips.)
    I have a ton of projects too, but we have been trying to catch up on things around the farm and the weather has been too nice to be inside sewing. It needs to be raining or sweltering to make that work.
    I hope you kick your slump soon!

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I'm not a night owl but wanted to reply to your comment about scrappy quilts. I love them but I'm with you on wanting them to be more coordinated in color. I am making a string quilt & I have to admit it has been fighting me with not being color coordinated. I'll be glad this one is done.

Gina

7. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I probably could have joined everyone. I woke up at 3am and just couldn't fall back asleep, until my alarm went off of course. Great use of scrap fabric. I know what you mean. I like things a bit more orderly.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to get there. It is OK if it's not color coordinating, but one fabric at least has to look ok next to the other. I don't really want 2 of the same color together either. Then I'm having to worry if the pieces will be long enough. Oh well.
    I can do this! (And I'm cleaning out some of my stashed stuff!)

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I was right there with you! Up until almost 1am putting my latest quilt together. I absolutely love scrappy quilts. I'm making one right now from 2 1/2" squares paired up with a white background. It's going to be for my baby quilt stash. When I get a few more squares done I'll put them on my design wall and post a pic. I consider it a challenge to try and complete a scrappy quilt from just what I have in my stash. I do get frustrated at times if I don't have all the colors I want. Oh well, it means more scraps for my next challenge once I acquire more fabric!
    Gaye

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Working on a low volume scrap quilt.
    Wish I could post a picture but I have had too many trouble with that lately.
    Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see Preeti's post - https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ad.php?t=77712

It's her scrappy vortex quilt. She also posted the link for the how to from Crazy Mom Quilts.

I started one awhile back using that tutorial. It's fun and extremely relaxing mindless sewing.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is pretty cool!
    I like the idea and the finished product, I just have a hard time with getting there.
    I can't say what this scrappy thing is, 'cause it's gonna end up as a gift for one of our Secret Santa folks. I'm making progress on it/them though.
    I'm not getting as much time to sew as I'd like, but it's supposed to be hot for the next few weeks, so afternoons may be spent at the machine in front of the fan!