Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Layout help

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Layout help

I have been staring at this so long that it seems I can't look at this objectively! The colors don't show true, they are actually very saturated blue and purple batiks. One layout is all scrappy 6" blocks. To me it looks a little too choppy. The other layout I made blocks with 2 pieces 3.5 x 6 for a 6 inch square.. My thought is I could make more of those and alternate with the other scrappy blocks. When my blocks are done I will finger press them into quarters and mark each block with four orange peels meeting at the centers. They would show up nice on the blocks with the two large pieces and break up their plainness. So, do you think I should I make all my blocks scrappy or alternate with the 2-piece blocks? It is going to be a queen size. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180710_113318_hdr.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	153719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180710_113157_hdr.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	153720  
    Last edited by jjkaiser; July 10th, 2018 at 01:45 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layout help

I like the layout with the 6" blocks...it seems to give the eye an area to rest. Beautiful fabrics!
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like #2 The colors seem more evenly placed. Pretty fabrics!

Lorie

The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, I like the second layout better ... more pleasing to the eye ... good luck on your decision!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is #2 as well.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too like what's behind door #2!
    Anita

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll be pleased with #2.

Will you add a border? Try one out. That will help you choose.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. The orange peel effect interests me, and I think the total scrappy-ness of #1 would be the most interesting with this. Just taking plainness and surprising the viewer.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If you were planning just the blues and purples, I would definitely vote for layout #2. I'm curious how the orange peels will look against the two kinds of blocks, especially if they are alternated and not random. I'm thinking I would prefer them on random scrappiness. I think you might have to cut out some orange peels and lay them on top of the blues and purples in order to see the full effect.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your input. I stopped at Joann's today and found some really nice cobalt blue that will look terrific with the purples. I think the navy looked alright but this new color is better. I am attempting to replicate something I saw on Pinterest. Tomorrow I am off work so I have a hot date with my seam ripper and will deconstruct some of these blocks and see if I can pull things together a little more to my liking. Also, I think there was a misunderstanding about me putting the orange peels on the blocks. No no not appliqued orange peels!!! How hideous that would look on a scrappy quilt block, way too busy.. I am marking four orange peels on each block and that will be the marks for my quilting design, because I am a hand quilter, and need to trace around something unless I am doing a simple straight line.