Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Nascar Quilt

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nascar Quilt

Hello everyone

I have a quick question and I know someone will be able to give me an answer I hope

I have a 7 year old grandson who loves Nascar. I want to make him a twin size Nascar quilt I have all the fabric, but I just don't know what pattern to you use.

I thought why not ask the best people I know all of you.

I have read so many post and see that there are so many talented people on this site. So maybe someone will be able to give me an idea.

Thank you so much and I hope everyone is having a fantastic day

Debbie
    Debbie

And Sew on And Sew on

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nascar Quilt

I think it will depend on how many fabrics you have and are they big or small prints, stuff like that. Can you post your fabrics? My stepdad used to drag race and we would go to car races when I was little. I forget what it's called, but it was in an arena with old cars crashing into each other, we went to those too.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s one I made for my brother with rte 66 fabric, warm wishes patternClick image for larger version. 

Name:	B6799EF0-25BC-46FE-81A6-E1785E10FF11.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	153716
    Vernona

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing what you have for fabrics would be helpful.

Sports quilts can be a lot of fun. You get to be your own designer. There really aren't patterns as such, and most "sports prints" don't lend themselves well to traditional patterns and blocks, and maintain a recognizable theme. If you search "Nascar quilt images" you'll see a lot of good examples. Some are constructed around panels, others use t-shirts. Most use some solid blocks so the detail isn't lost.

One common theme in Nascar quilts is the "checkered flag. This is easily handled with black and white in nine patch (or more) blocks- or a checkered border, etc.

A lot of 7 year olds are pretty sophisticated fans, and once a fan- always a fan, so realism is pretty important. No "cartoon" cars. It may become a wall hanging when he's 15.

Also, I'd bet he has a favorite driver, car, or team. Focus a lot on that. The available prints are limited to just a few like Junior, Jeff Gordon, and Tony Stewart so you might have to get creative. There are a few generic race car prints one could customize with some appliqued numbers, or pieced blocks.

Do the search and see what others have done- copying some of them ain't the worst idea in the world.
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would search NASCAR quilts on Pinterest.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I would make a nine patch because you can use
    bright solids with your car fabric.
    I solids would break up the print fabrics
    and add colors.
    Make a nice large lap quilt so he can use
    it for several years. Once you decide on a
    size it will be easy to figure your block size.
    These quilt are fun to make.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas I knew I could get best advice from this site,

Have a great evening and thank you again
    Debbie

And Sew on And Sew on

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I’m about to make a football theme quilt for my grandson using Jenny’s T Block or Intersection pattern. I chose that one because you are able to showcase larger prints without chopping them up too much. Jenny used it to make her grandchild a Spider Man quilt for that reason. Very cute pattern/quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made aNinja quilt for my grandson using Rob Appell's skateboard quilt. It turned out great and showed off the fabrics very well because you don't cut the fabrics into small pieces. The skateboards are 5" by 10".

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would put a checkered flag as a border. To show off the nascar fabrics, because that is what the child recognizes, I would just cut squares and sew them together. The child will not care for an elaborate pattern. Keep the squares large enough so your nascar prints are not lost.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/