Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing machine decisions

We all have preferences with our machines. I like being able to zigzag, blanket stitch etc but certainly don't use the other 200 designs on my machine. Its hard to find a simple machine that does a little bit more than straight stitch. I don't know why. However, I really like my Husqvarna 965q and it was a stretch for my budget. It has a ten inch throat and it seems to do what I need for FMQ. However, it certainly isn't as powerful as the Husqvarna I had 40 years ago. But that's technology for you

2. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Our forum member Klasien visited me last year and fell in love with my Singer S16. She couldn't find that model in the Netherlands, but found the Janome 1600 which is basically the same machine with a different color paint! She quilts all of her own quilts. This machine is about 1/5th of the cost of the Bernina 770. My daughter bought the Bernina, and it is a bit temperamental. I have sewn on it, but haven't tried FMQing. It makes great buttonholes!
    I second Jean on the Singer S16 (or Janome 1600 equivalent)! I have the S16 and love it! Fast, rugged, no frills, very reasonably priced, and large harp!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

4. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Janome 1600p,on a frame,love it. Love to have bought a proper fm machine but money wise, was out of the question,plus I just don't do enough quilts anymore,ran out of family to give them to,lol.

6. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I was purchasing cheap Brothers from Walmart but kept wearing them out after a year so I did my research and decided on a Juki TL2010Q straight stitch only. I love it. It is a work horse. I do still have a cheap Brother for fancy stitches when I need them but for the majority of my sewing its my Juki.

8. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

So, I have a 750QE. It is an excellent, heavy duty machine. In all honesty I have had some issues with it, the biggest one being that it wouldn't turn on. Bernina calls their machines Sewing Computers, and they aren't joking. In my case the mother board failed and at that point it was dead in the water. The parts were replaced under warranty but I stil had to pay the local shops labor.
    As far as the BSR goes, it was the main reason I bought the machine. I actually do better work simply by dropping the feed dogs. However, I tend to use medium to high loft batting, and the BSR works much better woth a low loft batting in my opinion.
    The only other aspect I would change about the machine is the needle threader. It could have been designed much better.
    I have had the top thread break during FMQ, but I needed a new needle and had been too lazy to change it.
    Having said all that I would purchase it again. The dual feed mechanism is FANTASTIC.
    In reality, I could do what I'm doing today with a straight stitch machine, and I'm sure you could, too.
    My back up machine is a smaller Babylock and I dread using it in comparison to the Bernina.
    Heather

10. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post