Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Question Sewing machine decisions

Hello everybody and I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

In the last few weeks, I did a lot of research on sewing machines, because my Janome 8900 QCP seems to think that I am asking to much from her and goes on a strike from time to time. I am planning to buy a customized sewing table and it doesnít make sense to do that for a sewing machine, that will probably be replaced soon.
    So I did a lot of research and talked to quilters I know. There are two kind of quilters around me, the ones who has to work for there incomes , what means the budget is limited (I am in this team) and the ones who get everything they want from there husbands, including am Q24 Bernina Longam, to play around in there basement.
    Thatís how I started thinking about a Bernina 770 QE, which is 4000Ä, but if you are working with it happily for years seems to be worth it. I tested it on Friday, after thinking about how I can justify this purchase for 2 weeks.
    Undoubtably this is a wonderful machine, with features everyone is dreaming of, like the bigger bobbin which tells you before itís running out of thread. As some one who loves to do FMQ, I certainly had test sandwiches with me and 20 seconds after starting the quilting I had the first threadbrake, this happened several times and I was told that the issue might be that I turned the sandwich around with the needle down. Well, but thatís how I change the direction when I am doing FMQ. Maybe the needle wasnít the right one, but however it didnít make me feel like I had to have this machine. Maybe I was thinking that I had to buy this fancy machine only because I wanted to keep up with all the ladies who doesnít have to work for there living. ( I could pay for it, without getting in trouble, but I have to save money for a long time to get so much)
    I started thinking about this kind of machines with so many features and what I really need for my daily work and what I am doing most of the time is straight line sewing my patchwork and quilting. Wouldnít it be a better idea to buy a semiprofessional straight Stich machine like the Janome 6700 ? I think Juki has this kind of machine too, but until now I couldnít find one with a throat space big enough for the large quilts I like to make.

So now (finally) I am coming to my question, because obviously I am completely confused and I know here are experienced quilters who will give me there honest opinion. Has anybody experiences with this kind of machines or advise or recommendations? There is no shop in my town where I can test a machine like this, I have to travel a bit to do so. Am I wrong with my conclusion about the Bernina 770 QE.?
    Thank you so much in advance !
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing machine decisions

I have a Bernina 830 and don't have the issue with the thread breaking with the needle down. I turn the quilt all the time that way. That said, there are a ton of features on this I have yet to use and I have had it for over 5 years. My husband is the one who pushed me to buy it as he kept saying, if you keep a machine for 20 years (which I have done) you may as well buy one to grow into. So truthfully if I had it to do again, I personally would probably go for a few less bells and whistles. But I really think machines are a personal thing.

By the way, if there is an other Bernina dealer within a reasonable drive, I would try things at a different shop. I would be concerned about any dealer that simply tells you it is your fault for the thread breaking when clearly that is not the case.
    Debbie

3. Thanks MSN, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When you stopped with the needle DOWN did the pressure foot lift UP? Some machines have a function called pivot". Pivot can be set to happen when you lift up on the foot pedal.

It may or may not be offered on machine you tried but worth asking about.

5. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Research this.....Babylock Jazz!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	153578
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

7. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post
    Research this.....Babylock Jazz!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	153578

Thank you so much, but here in Germany you can only buy Baby Lock Sergers and Sashiko machines as far as I know...
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After lots of research I went for a straight stitch only machine. A straight stitch only machine has the following advantages. Less things to break, a clear and open thread path so it easy to clean when the thread breaks (everybody gets some thread breaks if you FMQ) better visibility around the head of the machine so you can see where you are FMQ without having to hold your head at at awkward angle, a vertical bobbin which gives more consistent FMQ in all directions, higher stitch speed, build in cone thread holder, and a lower price.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

10. Thanks dwil23, Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me as if you might be happiest with a straight stitch machine too. I have the Juki 2200 q.v. mini and love it. Don't worry about those other people with their unlimited budgets. Do what makes you happy within the parameters of what makes you comfortable.

12. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Bernina 770QE machine, I can do king size quilts and I always use the rulers to do the fancy work. I have not had a problem with mine. o . If free motion quilting I will use the BSR and have NEVER had the problem you have encountered. I love the machine, it does everything I ask of it, even sewing the heavy purses I make. I LOVE the dual feed feet, worth every penny. It was more expensive than quite a few machines I was looking at, but I can honestly say it was worth every penny I paid. I have also bought as many extras I can when they have the 25 % off sale twice a year.

14. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Bernina 710...the base model of the 7 series machines. I bought it because I was influenced by brand name and by other people. I sold it after 3 years....I never "bonded" with it, found I didn't need the BSR (in fact it became distracting to me) and it just seemed to be very "delicate and temperamental".
    After selling it, I spent quite some time really considering what my "needs" truly were and like you, I am on a budget. I have replaced it with a Juki TL2010Q straight stitch machine...an absolute work horse and even though its harp space is only about 8.5" (I think) it has an extra high harp height which gives good space to move the quilt through very easy...I have quilted up to 70" square without undue hassle. I don't regret selling the Bernina and I am very happy with the Juki. I have just recently purchased a Janome as a second machine which does have some "bells and whistles". This will be my piecing machine....and the Juki, my quilting machine. I reckon I have finally "got it right"!

16. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our forum member Klasien visited me last year and fell in love with my Singer S16. She couldn't find that model in the Netherlands, but found the Janome 1600 which is basically the same machine with a different color paint! She quilts all of her own quilts. This machine is about 1/5th of the cost of the Bernina 770. My daughter bought the Bernina, and it is a bit temperamental. I have sewn on it, but haven't tried FMQing. It makes great buttonholes!

18. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post