Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas in (almost) July - What are you planning for Xmas gifts?

I try to make useful gifts as presents - I get to play with fabric and I wind up with a gift, so it's kind of a two-fer, lol.

I've made microwave bowl holders, reusable grocery bags, wristlet zipper bags, and this year I'm making luggage tags and earbud pouches. Usually everyone gets a version that matches their tastes/fave colors.

I'm always on the lookout for cute ideas and I would love to hear what some of you are planning.

2. Thanks Stitches23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas in (almost) July - What are you planning for Xmas gifts?

I'm thinking of doing our craft fair again this year and have started making some items. These are some of the smaller items I'm doing-
    Wristlet key fobs
    small holders for either lip balm/ travel tubes of Tylenol
    embroidered snow flakes
    seat belt covers
    elf shoes filled with oreos
    small zippered purses

and some pricier items that did well at last year's fair-
    table runners
    embroidered dishtowel/ potholder sets
    charm pack wreaths and fold and stitch wreaths
    lace angels
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not making any gifts here..unless it is something for me. A couple of years ago my niece wanted me to make neck pillows for her and her then b/f (now her husband) I made them and they told me that really loved them. Last weekend she had posted pics on snapchat of her and hubby selling things at a flea market. Looking closer at the pics there were the pillows I made them. They looked like they were not used as they still looked the same as to when I made them. Oh well...it is what it is.
    Barbara

7. Thanks PrettyCurious, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBarb View Post
    Not making any gifts here..unless it is something for me. A couple of years ago my niece wanted me to make neck pillows for her and her then b/f (now her husband) I made them and they told me that really loved them. Last weekend she had posted pics on snapchat of her and hubby selling things at a flea market. Looking closer at the pics there were the pillows I made them. They looked like they were not used as they still looked the same as to when I made them. Oh well...it is what it is.
    Know exactly how you feel. I had made a couple quilts (at their request) for Son & DIL, also a couple for granddaughter for her birthday and Christmas. Five year old granddaughter sadly told me sometime later that Momma had given them all away. Did some looking around the next time I babysat for them and sure enough they were no where to be found. Never brought it up to them, but I was pretty crushed. DIL never appreciated much that didn't come from Wal-Mart so it shouldn't surprise me. Since then I've made it clear to family that if they don't like my quilts - I want them back.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago I made a lot of travel/neck pillows. Everybody loved and used them. Crafty Gemini has a great pattern and video. Make sure you watch the video before cutting out the pattern.
    https://craftygeminicreates.com/travel-neck-pillow/

Pillowcases. They also make great gift bags for the kids!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFTJh1-9ezA

A unique pin cushion.
    https://www.allfreesewing.com/Access...ouve-Ever-Seen

A quilted wrap/shawl.
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html
    Vonnie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning several mug rugs and place - mats for co-workers and family members. I need to do something simple and easy. Take some of the pressure away from the "complex".

Find their favorite color....find a block add a ribbon border and viola .
    There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This year I plan to make a few things and have drawings again. I won't be able to do mass mailing this year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For a few years, I have made advent calendars. First one was a request from a friend, who bought fabric but did not pay me for sewing it. It was a gift for her friend's GS. Since I knew she would be asking for more, I figured that I would buy fabric and make them. Last year I sold about 12 of them at a craft show for $35 ea. I bought panels on clearance and will make more this year. But this will be the last. I am trying to get away from selling crafts.

I have also made some guest towels and waffle weave dish towels and added a decorative fabric border. These sell well and make nice hostess gifts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	153561.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The candy bags in Jenny's tutorial would make fun gifts. I could see making them for kids to use for pencils and school supplies, or for coworkers.