Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Smile quilt top to duvet ???!!! Has anyone made one and what do I need to do to make one too!?

Hello Fellow Quilters,

I have just finished a quilt top (I used Jenny's crown pattern and it turned out beautiful!) but before I sandwich it and put it together, I'd really like to make it into a duvet cover instead of a regular quilt. In fact, my son and his wife have asked me if I could make them one since they would like the versatility of a duvet that can be removed to launder since they have a dog that likes to sleep on their bed! (I'll bet nobody has that problem.... wink, wink!)
    I have not had the quilt top quilted (I usually have the quilt long-arm quilted) but I wasn't sure that was the route I needed to go so I've held off on that step.
    I've checked YouTube for making a duvet cover but I didn't really find anything similar to what I wanted.
    I'm open to any and all suggestions... by the way, it's a king-size quilt!
    Thanks in advance! I'll look forward to your helpful hints!

Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt top to duvet ???!!! Has anyone made one and what do I need to do to make one too!?

Most duvet covers are two large pieces of fabric sewn together on three sides with the fourth side zippered or snapped shut. A quilt top, with all its little pieces sewn together, attached on three sides to a large piece of fabric, would be awfully prone to come apart at the seams—especially if a fur baby is jumping on and off every day.

Ask yourself this question: Would you launder an unquilted quilt top? Would you do so weekly/monthly? I wouldn't, because I'm sure that the seams would start unraveling!

I can, however, imagine the following:
    Make a "summer quilt" by quilting your pieced top to just a king-size flat sheet, no batting.
    Only bind the bottom edge, not all four edges.
    Take a second king-size flat sheet and lay it right sides together with the quilt top.
    Sew around the three unbound edges and turn it all inside out.
    Voila! You have a duvet cover with a secure quilt top. The opening will be at the foot of the bed. You can fasten that however you like.

Let us know what you decide to do!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt top to duvet ???!!! Has anyone made one and what do I need to do to make one too!?

The way Toni explained it is how I did mine. On the one I made out of jeans I didn't line or quilt. Both the front and back where denim so it made a really heavy duvet cover for someone with autism.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made one before, but it was whole cloth and I did ties. That was the style then. Maybe piece it with wider seams sewn twice next to each other or with a serger. I wouldn't pick a complicated pattern for it.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made duvet's for my children years ago and pieced upholstery samples for the top. THe truth? A nicely quilted quilt top will be just as practical and will wash us just as well as if you made the duvet cover. You could bind it with a ruffle or pleats to give it a different look but the weight is still going to make washing a king size quilt an ordeal.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I made duvet's for my children years ago and pieced upholstery samples for the top. THe truth? A nicely quilted quilt top will be just as practical and will wash us just as well as if you made the duvet cover. You could bind it with a ruffle or pleats to give it a different look but the weight is still going to make washing a king size quilt an ordeal.
    You make a good point about the washing and the weight. As I pondered Cindy's situation, I realized that the difference comes in the drying, not the washing. I think a duvet cover will dry much faster than a quilt, and if you want to get it back onto the bed the same day, a duvet cover would be the way to go.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Laura P !! Appreciate the suggestions!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, a simple pattern would be best. I'll probably rethink my idea! Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    A trip to the laundry mat to use their jumbo washers and dryers!

I agree about just using an oversize quilt and a good quilting job and the quilt will last a long time.

Also - wash in cold water and dry on low heat.
    Vonnie