Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default question for bag makers

DH has asked me to make him a belt loop cell phone holder. I pulled out my trusty In R foam and set to work. Turned out pretty well, but he feels like it's just a tad flimsy. I'm wondering if there is a stiffer interfacing I could use to help it hold it's shape. As you can imagine it really gets a lot of pull and tug use

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question for bag makers

You could use 808 or 809 on the fabric before the foam to add a little more stiffness. Decovil light is another one that would be good if you can find it for a reasonable price. It is readily available in Europe and just making its way to the US, but is a lot higher priced than some interfacing.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you add quilt lines to your cotton over InRForm, it stiffens it significantly. I've made several zipper pouches by using InRForm under sewn cotton, and it is quite substantial. Perhaps it is the hanging loop that seems flimsy. In that case, attach it in two places on the back of the pouch instead of a hanging loop. It will hug close to his body instead of hanging.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bag bottom that was heavy plastic. Maybe you could use that on the back of the pouch. https://www.lazygirldesigns.com/supp...bag-e-bottoms/
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Karen - I will definitely be looking for the Decovil…..I think Amazon has it, but wow is it pricy.

Jean - great tip on the anchoring the loop top and bottom.

tesspug - looking into the bag bottom material too....thanks

This is definitely a work in progress....I'll just keep plugging along until I get it perfected to his specific tastes.