Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting with Industrial machines

The wife and I have been quilting together for about 10 years, she started much earlier than that but I joined her about 10 years ago. I started with the longarm, or maybe I should say I took it away from her and did the longarm portion of the quilting. It was a natural, it's mechanical, and large, you know a guy thing. Several years ago she was wanting a new straight stitch machine and settled on a Juki TL2010qI and couldn't be happier. I went rebuilt and went through several machines looking for one that "fit" me. Singer 15's, 99k's, 220's etc. Just couldn't get along with any of them. A Consew 205rb-1 came avaliable where I work and found its way home, what am I gonna do with an industrial walking foot machine? I had used these at work and knew their capabilities and how powerful they are so I ordered a double fold binding attachment and took the time to learn it well. Bind a table runner or place mat is quicker than the time to cut the strips. Well I still need a straight stitch machine and decided to order a Juki DDL 8700. Wish I had done that earlier, yep it only does straight stitches but it does them perfect and FAST. Besides how many of the eight hundred and ninety nine stitches does any one use on their computerized machine? I like that there is no plastic and that the machine head weighs over 60 pounds, stable and vibration free. Did I mention fast? Chain piecing squares is a matter of arranging them first in overlapping layers so you don't have to stop and fiddle around then its a matter of slide, ziiiiiiiiit, slide ziiiiiiit, slide ziiiiiiiit. I find that I am much more accurate and worlds faster with this Juki. I guess what I am saying is that don't be afraid of Industrial machines, they are heavy, and powerful, but they were designed for people to make a living with, not a lot of frills but they sure get the work done and that's what it's all about, And they are cheaper and you will never have to buy another.
    Just my two cents worth. From a guys prospective.

2. Thanks TMP, tamsterg7, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting with Industrial machines

I like a guys perspective on sewing, but I'm curious what you did or do for a living? Are you retired?

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Juki 98TLQ about 11 years ago. It's really heavy and is a work horse. Have not used it since I got my longarm. But it has a nice throat space. It's 8" plus it's higher which gives even more room. I thought about selling it but my DH talked me out of it. He said it's paid for and works great so just keep it. It's purely mechanical and has to be oiled. It's great for repairing jeans or making tote bags/purses. It can really handle thick seams.
    Vonnie

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

two more years and I can retire, well at least not travel to this job, I work in IT and product development in the cabinet industry. Spent my early years as a heavy equipment mechanic. We work together on numerous sewing projects, she is good with the design and I work out production details.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Juki 98. It is reliable, makes a beautiful stitch, and never fails me. True, I own fancier machines, but the Juki is a keeper!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?