Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default CHEAP Rotary cutter blades!

That's what I thought when I read that Harbor Freight had them for my rotary cutter. Wow, I thought! Who doesn't love a new blade on their rotary cutter? So, I went down there and bought 10. I don't normally do anything small.
    Then I came home and started hacking. Not cutting, not trimming, HACKING!!! The blades were not sharp, and all I did was hack! I tried another blade to see if it was just the blade. . . No, still hacking. Luckily, I could save that piece of layer cake I was hacking.
    The next day, I bought blades specifically for my rotary cutter and they were razor sharp and cut with precision and ease. It took little effort to make the cut and I did not feel like I was wrestling to trim the sides of the fabric.
    The ones at Harbor Freight are meant for carpet cutting and are therefore not as sharp astheones intended for cutting fabric or paper. I guess the old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CHEAP Rotary cutter blades!

thanks for the heads up!
    Britt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montanamom View Post
    That's what I thought when I read that Harbor Freight had them for my rotary cutter. Wow, I thought! Who doesn't love a new blade on their rotary cutter? So, I went down there and bought 10. I don't normally do anything small.
    Then I came home and started hacking. Not cutting, not trimming, HACKING!!! The blades were not sharp, and all I did was hack! I tried another blade to see if it was just the blade. . . No, still hacking. Luckily, I could save that piece of layer cake I was hacking.
    The next day, I bought blades specifically for my rotary cutter and they were razor sharp and cut with precision and ease. It took little effort to make the cut and I did not feel like I was wrestling to trim the sides of the fabric.
    The ones at Harbor Freight are meant for carpet cutting and are therefore not as sharp astheones intended for cutting fabric or paper. I guess the old saying is true, you get what you pay for.
    I saw someone say almost the same thing somewhere else. I was going to get some but now I think I won't. Thanks for letting us know.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same bad luck with the Harbor Freight blades. I researched what brand of cutter(s) can use them (Fiskars and Olfa) and I have one of each, but the blades still don't work for me....really frustrating! I now stick to my tried and true replacement blades.
    Barb

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same luck with the blades from Harbor Freight. Guess we need to stick to the brand name blades and use our coupons for better pricing. Nothing like a new blade to cut fabric--cuts like buttah!!!!!

Becki

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten a couple of HF blades that had tiny burrs that caused them to skip, but the rest have worked fine in my Fiskars cutter.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*