Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wednesday, oh Wednesday

Well it is another Wednesday again. Sunny with clouds at the moment.

I didn't do much of anything yesterday as I think I was still tired. Laundry was the one thing I did do. I did make it to the sewing room and tidied up a little. Still not sure what I am taking with me tomorrow. Les is going to cut grass this morning.

Not too much on my agenda except pack today. I want to get an early start tomorrow morning. Although it is only an hour away. Can't there too early.

I am in a sewing funk right at the moment. I need inspiration. Maybe I will get some at the 'retreat'.

Well have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wednesday, oh Wednesday

Good Morning, Monique, & Everyone ~ The newspaper this a.m. reports our hail yest. was 1.25" in diameter. One of the local growers had his field of corn devastated--left in shreds. Neighboring towns had hail that measured 2" & 3" in diameter. Many years ago -- the kids were still home, so it's >30 yrs. ago -- we had a bad storm with hen's egg sized hail. I saved some of the hail stones in the freezer to show to the agent. Our roof was damaged & the ins. co. paid for us to get a new roof. In spite of the wet, our lawn service came to mow late in the afternoon.

I put in another hour or so of FMQ yest. I finally feel like I'm making progress. It's an all-over design, so it goes fairly quickly.

I'll try to get some housework done today. I don't have to go anywhere today. Tomorrow is the dentist again.

4. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JCY that is some hail...huge...glad you are safe.
    Great news yesterday...buyer of our building finished the down payment portion of the loan. Now I feel like the building is actually sold and not leased. My stress has been relieved emmensely .
    I went into town with DH and we had lunch. Then he ran errands. I will go on Thursday and have lunch with MIL and maybe we will go look at furniture for my new room. That might be fun if she is up to the walking.
    Today I will go back down to the storage building and try to do some organizing. DH thinks he is going to build an outhouse for the GC for their little cabin by the lake. It really is a long walk for them to come all the way up to the house for going potty and being city kids, they are leary of bushes. I'm not sure they will use an outhouse...but it might be a good memory for them. They might think they are real life camping. lol.
    I sewed a little yesterday and really enjoyed it for the first time in a while. Amazing what depression and stress do to our happiness factor and amazing how easily I get caught up in other peoples drama. I truly try not to let these things work on me, but , alas, I need to try harder.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone!

Monique, I'm sure you'll have a grand time at the retreat! You'll have to fill us in on the "spa" retreat when you get back!
    Joy, wow, saw your pics......how strange......course it seems we've have strange weather for most of the year. Thankful you're fine.
    Terry. Oh soooo thankful they paid. Such a relief! So very happy for you.

Well it's cooled off, 80' instead of 97'and humid. It's raining.....a nice garden variety.....love the sound of rain!

Haven't seen my sewing room since last week. Not sure if there's much creativity going on in there......maybe.....maybe....today. I so very much need some major sewing time. Been waaaaaay too busy with the yard work and family functions.

Hope everyone has a great day! Hugs.

7. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning ladies,
    Monique - you are probably a burned out. YOu have a lot going on your plate. I think once you pack up some fabrics and get going, this break will be what you need.

JCY- that's too bad for the farmers. I remember a bad hail storm in July when the kids were teenagers. It looked like December and had devastated our vegetable garden, and my beautiful clematis I had on a 30' wall of trellis was done for the summer. Just about the entire east Orleans had roof damage, and roofing companies were happy. This is one of the reasons that we put in a metal roof a few years ago, we get too many strong winds and hail often.

Grammaterry - that should be interesting to have an outhouse for the city GC. I used to get a good laugh when the new girl guides arrived at summer camp, and realized they would have to use outhouse. That was my duty to accompany them. Oh the screams about spiders, the squeals of smell, but I made it fun for them. We made up songs while the girls were waiting their turn. By the end of the week, it was no big deal. I am glad that you have received your money. This may have been a source of your discontent. You work so hard for this, and then to have to wait for your reward is hard.

I babysat Cedric yesterday and he was a delight. My DD went for a massage and ran errands, sans enfants (aka no kids). I also ran errands and when I got home DH was sleeping. He was awake most of the night. I had to wake him as we had a conference call with his niece and G nephew in Kansas. They are bringing DH dad to have dinner at assisted living memory care facility next week. While I have legal experience with POA and estate sales, and getting services in place in Ontario, I am not familiar with Kansas laws. From my questions, it is clear that DH should not have had his parents name her, even if she is close by. I will be doing more research, as the monthly costs will exceed his pensions. We were also told that the hoarding has gotten worse. He added another huge shed in the yard, and his sister's car is parked under the pergola. She has been in an institution for a few years and this will have to be disposed of as well. We will have to sift the house for papers and valuables. We are planning on going down before the end of summer.

I have also sent a message to Bill Nye re M* orders gone astray. It is another sunny day, cooler and good to finish clearing the beds around the pond and getting ready for the kids brunch.

Have a good day everyone.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's been raining all morning but now it's brightening up. Did 2washer loads of towels this morning and FINALLY finished unpacking the suitcases from our holiday - for me this is the worst part!! I'd got all the washing done and dried earlier in the week so as it's such a large pile, I'll just iron for an hour a day until it's finished.

This afternoon I'll be in my sewing room, yayyy!! I had intended to sandwich one of my UFO's but haven't the heart so I'll continue with a QAYG Linus quilt which is on my list - don't feel I can justify starting a new project until I get more of the UFOs finished.

Hope everyone has a good day.

11. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all,
    Yesterday was another hot day here so not much time up in the sewing room, just gets too warm up there for me to spend long periods of time up there during the day. Early morning and night are best times for working in there when the temperatures rise. I did get a Christmas angel stitched out and put together this week first one of the season. I love making them and people seem to enjoy receiving them so it's a win/win for all!

Not much on my agenda for today besides a quick run to the grocery store, think I will make a taco salad for tonight's dinner so have to pick up a few additional items.

Terry- glad they came through with the rest of the down payment, must be a big relief for you.
    Monique- enjoy your retreat, they are the best. I always look forward to the few I attend.

Well, that's it for me this morning. I have a few daily chores to do so I better get started. Wishing everyone a good day!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness everyone is so busy!

Jim called yesterday afternoon. They'd started in the foyer and it was taking longer than he thought (always). They needed a place for the kids from midafternoon until they finished. I told them sure and I'd fix dinner for them ( I knew they wouldn't get done early enough to cook dinner for the kids). I pulled out hamburger and started browning it for spaghetti and the Bug Out guy came. About the time he got done, the grocery delivery arrived and shortly after that, the grandkids arrived via Nandy. It was a mad house for a bit!

The kids were fine, and watched cartoons and played with the foam blocks until their parents arrived. We all had dinner and got most of it cleaned up before they left for Harbor Freight to pick up an angle grinder. Jim found Howard's but he had no idea how to change the blade out. I'm of the don't ask me school on those things.

Mike's off today, so we've been out to Palm Tree Longarm to pick up his quilt and a variety of other little errands. I still have to trim the quilt and bind it but the quilting is beautiful!

The kids will be back for dinner tonight, so I'd best get started on something to go with the roast beef I threw in the crock pot this morning.

I hope everyone has a most creative day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry ~ Memories of outhouses -- I guess my first memories would be at my aunt & uncle's house in rural IL. where they lived on a farm. One had to open the gate & walk through the chicken yard to get to the outhouse. I hated that! I was fearful of being pecked by the chickens. At that time, they still heated their house with a potbellied stove & my aunt cooked on a large wood range in the kitchen. Their water was from a pump in the yard. You had to heat the water for doing dishes or for Sat. night baths which was taken in the large galvanized tub in the kitchen, with several family members sharing the same water.

There were outhouses at some of the church camps we attended. I think most people kept "thunder mugs" under their beds so no one had to make a trip outside in the dark. A dif. aunt & uncle had at outhouse at their cabin near Coeur d'Alene Lake in N. ID. I was afraid going out to that one at night, because there could be bears in the area. It was woodsy.

An outhouse might be a unique experience for your city gr. kids. Otherwise, give them a pot. Sometimes we used a no. 10 large can when there was no pot available. Glad we don't live in "the good old days". I'll take modern conveniences any time.

Glad your restaurant payment came through.
    Last edited by JCY; June 20th, 2018 at 06:39 PM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    JCY that is some hail...huge...glad you are safe.
    Great news yesterday...buyer of our building finished the down payment portion of the loan. Now I feel like the building is actually sold and not leased. My stress has been relieved emmensely .
    I went into town with DH and we had lunch. Then he ran errands. I will go on Thursday and have lunch with MIL and maybe we will go look at furniture for my new room. That might be fun if she is up to the walking.
    Today I will go back down to the storage building and try to do some organizing. DH thinks he is going to build an outhouse for the GC for their little cabin by the lake. It really is a long walk for them to come all the way up to the house for going potty and being city kids, they are leary of bushes. I'm not sure they will use an outhouse...but it might be a good memory for them. They might think they are real life camping. lol.
    I sewed a little yesterday and really enjoyed it for the first time in a while. Amazing what depression and stress do to our happiness factor and amazing how easily I get caught up in other peoples drama. I truly try not to let these things work on me, but , alas, I need to try harder.

Consider a camping type system instead. More sanitary and less work. Might also be an issue to have an outhouse that close to a body of water(the pond).

18. Thanks Monique thanked for this post