Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Update on ants in my Handi Quilter Sweet 16

Aloha all, well they didn't find any ant residue in the machine. The service tech said a power surge burned out the fuse in the power pod, yikes. But the machine stopped working after they came in to treat for ants and spray dust in the electrical outlets in my kitchen which shares a common wall with the sockets on the other side where my machines are plugged in. They had to shut off the power to work on the sockets. Hummmm. Poor me did not have a surge protector on those plugs. He recommended I get one, and also said to always unplug your machine when you are not using it. Never heard that before. Whats interesting is my Janome MC6600 was plugged into the same socket and it is working fine.

Will keep you posted: postage to send to Utah $135, service repair $150, parts $70, return postage $108 .
    total $463. Handi Quilter was great with information, listening to me and getting my machine back fast. Mailed to them June 6 will have it back June19 and that is all the way to Hawaii.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Update on ants in my Handi Quilter Sweet 16

good news. Now go invest in a power strip!
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you will soon have your machine back. Get that surge protector for sure.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard to unplug machines when not in use, but I mostly unplug machines when we are expecting thinderstorms and lightning. I do have the machines on power surge protectors. However, I have heard you can have power surge item added to the electrical panel which would protect the whole house. It might be something to consider since we do seem to have electronics in every room, and a small investment to protect all the precious ones.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I would seriously recommend getting an uninterruptible power supply for your machines. They plug into the wall and you plug your devices into them. Inside is a battery and circuitry to prevent surges or low power situations to sensitive computer boards. Usually when the power goes out you have several minutes where the machine works off the battery but you have time to shut your sewing machine or computer down safely. They can be expensive and there are different kinds. They have saved my machines and computers on many occasions. A surge protector really shouldn't be used if it has been flipped by a surge and they really don't protect against low power situations. We've experienced several surged that just blew right through the surge protector and destroyed equipment.....a treadmill and a computer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    I have heard to unplug machines when not in use, but I mostly unplug machines when we are expecting thinderstorms and lightning. I do have the machines on power surge protectors. However, I have heard you can have power surge item added to the electrical panel which would protect the whole house. It might be something to consider since we do seem to have electronics in every room, and a small investment to protect all the precious ones.
    We did this about 3 years ago. We had electricians in for some work and one of them noticed my longarm. Told me that the surge protector I had it plugged into was not enough to protect my longarm. Highly recommended the whole house surge protector. They installed it right above the electrical panel.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have my long arm plugged into a UPS unit and my sewing machine into a surge protector. I unplug my long arm and sewing machine when I leave the room for the night or during a storm. UPS units or surge protectors are a small price to pay to protect the equipment.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

the unplug of machines is strictly for older machines. older machines do not have an on/off switch. which power is always on the old foot pedal, which will burn up old foot pedals. new machines have an on/off switch. so just turn your machine off.

In texas we have fire ants. sometimes they are attracted to the heat in cooler weather, and will move in with you and get into clothes. i suspect they are eating the starch in the clothing, and perhaps your quilting ,achine had some starch residue?
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the comments. Both machines were turned off when not in use. Hadn't sewed for about 4 days when I turned on the long arm and nothing. They did treat our whole building (10 apartments) so not too many ants now. I looked on line at surge protectors, yikes so many kinds I'm not sure what to get. Don't have the option of the whole house protection as I am a renter of this apartment. Would love some advice on what brand to get.