Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on today's DD, Double Square Star

Hi All!

Today's Daily Deal includes a pattern for the Double Square Star. In the full tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDV0hny_FEE , Jenny says to use yardage. She talks about cutting it into strips, but doesn't actually say how wide the strips should be.

In the Quilt Snips tutorial for the same pattern, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDQFRE9_zk , they say to use a solid jelly roll. Again, this implies that the yardage in the original tutorial would be cut into 2-1/2" strips.

I have (more than) three Charm Packs that I've been waiting for the perfect pattern, and I have Moda solid grey jelly rolls (that didn't work out for a different project), I think I have everything but the border.

Has anyone made the Double Square Star using Jelly Rolls? Did the Jelly Rolls work?

Thank you!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question on today's DD, Double Square Star

Those strips are 2 1/2 inches wide, so you could use a jelly roll (and I personally would definitely use a jelly roll so I didn't have cut all those strips from yardage - lol).
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's so great. A few years back, I purchased two "silver" non-metallic junior jelly rolls to go with the layer cake I was buying. Turned out the layer cake had metallic gold accents, and those silver, non-metallic strips just looked like dull lead next to the layer cake. So they've been sitting in my stash ever since.

As I was looking for background fabrics that would make every fabric in the Charm Pack stand out, I realized that a pale grey would do the trick. And then I remembered the junior jelly rolls! I hate to admit this, but I proceeded to remove the background yardage that was in my cart.

It's fun to find a Daily Deal that helps reduce your stash!

4. Thanks dwil23, Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the video and pay attention to the white strip before she cuts the 5" and 7" pieces you can tell it is 2 1/2" wide by counting the squares on the mat.

6. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    If you look at the video and pay attention to the white strip before she cuts the 5" and 7" pieces you can tell it is 2 1/2" wide by counting the squares on the mat.
    Brilliant!

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post