Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check my math please

I'm making a 84x92 queen sized DP9 quilt without any borders out of 2 colors only. I want to make sure I have enough fabric as when it's gone it's gone. I figured I would need 5 yds of the darker fabric and 4 of the lighter. Would somebody please check my math, while she still has plenty of fabric. Thank you so much Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Check my math please

This is a hard one. I'll try to work on it as soon as I get a break.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever seen a two color D9P. Can you show a pic? Here is a three color one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disappearing-9-patch-ozzypuppy.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	153134

A member here made it. I think it is so pretty.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looking just at the measurements, I think you're just shy of having enough fabric. I think with five yards plus four yards, you'll end up with a 78x91" quilt. If you add a border, that could get you to at least your 84x92" queen size. I think it will end up longer than 92".

Here are my calculations:
    If you start with 9 yards of fabric, you have 324 linear inches of fabric.
    I assumed that you'd have 40" of usable width.
    Cut all this into 5" charms, and you'll get 512 charms.
    Those 512 charms will make 56 nine patch blocks (that you then slice and dice).
    With all your seams, I believe the blocks will end up being about 13" square.
    The 56 blocks can be laid out 6 across and 7 down.
    This gives you a quilt that's about 78" by 91". If you add a 3" border, you'll have a quilt that's 84" by 97".

I tried to err on the "shy" side. You might try cutting up a paper sample to see how big your finished block will be. That could change my calculations substantially.

When I do a paper sample, I staple my 1/4" seams and fold the paper back. Remember also that your paper sample will be 1/2" bigger than your finished block will be.

Oh, and be careful when cutting your paper nine patch—you don't want to damage your rotary cutter on a staple!

Let us know how things go!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One more thought: The Disappearing Nine Patch is well suited to Charm Packs. Have you thought about using Charm Packs instead of yardage? And Lorie's point is well taken. When you make a paper sample, use two different colors of paper. That will help you decide if just two fabrics will give you the look you want.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your replies. Since DD request was for greens, that kind of left charm packs out. I bought enough green yardage to make a sample dp9 block, but after putting it together the medium green didn't work. So I made up the other block just using the light& dark greens and cut it like a dp9. Those 2 greens work and she likes it. That's how it became a 2 color dp9.
    When I figured the yardage I though 9 yards would give me 7 across and 8 down,but GuitarGramma says no. I'll have to figure a border. I have a piece of hunter green that I was going to use for the backing hmm. Maybe I'll pull it out and see how it looks as part of the block. Thanks again Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, the picture I posted the member cut 7'' squares. I pm'ed her and asked. I love green!

Lorie

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Kathy, the picture I posted the member cut 7'' squares. I pm'ed her and asked. I love green!
    I love the dp9 too.We'll see what happens with the greens. Blessings Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Seven-inch squares instead of five-inch would mean fewer seams farther apart. That might get you to just the size you want!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had another thought. Would either the medium green or the hunter green work if it were the center square of the nine patch? That is the square that gets cut into the tiniest pieces, and you know what Bonnie Hunter says: If you still hate the fabric, you just haven't cut it small enough!

In other words, can you create your nine patch like this:
    DARK LIGHT DARK
    LIGHT MED LIGHT
    DARK LIGHT DARK
    And if the medium really doesn't work, even cut into fourths, would the Hunter green work in the middle?

That way, you'd get more blocks out of your yardage and you'd only have small pieces of the third color.

I can't wait to see this top when you're done!