Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighted Quilt

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weighted Quilt

Whew! Kind of a chore, but finished. Graduation gift. This is a weighted quilt for grandson (big Seahawks fan)) to take off to college.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seahawk (480x640).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	153099

Fortunately it looks way better in person than this crappy pic shows. Photos of quilts are a pain for me. I only have one arm that goes above shoulder level so they look all wrinkly and floppy. Then there's the lighting situation in my basement shop. And... this quilt was heavy!

Total weight is right at 18 lbs. Actual construction wasn't nearly as difficult as I anticipated. Top consisted of a couple panels- a strip set from Wilmington Essentials No.1 Fan- and misc. fabrics for borders and binding.

There are 5 layers of fabric in the construction. The "top" section is the piecing you see, batting, and a muslin lining. The back section is a muslin lining, and a flannel back.

The two sections were joined with the muslin layers facing- then filled with beads. The reason for this two-fold. The "top" three pieces were joined like a traditional quilt with minimal STID. The "back" layers were basted and joined to the top with columns running from top to bottom. Then it was bound on the bottom and both sides, leaving the top open. This allows for filling between the smooth muslin linings. At this point beads were added in each column, and stitched crosswise to contain the beads, then more added, stitched, more added etc until the quilt was filled completely- then stitched at the top and binding finished on top. The bead filled columns are from the outer borders in

Cross stitching was fairly easy. Add beads in each column and pin to contain them in the bottom. Roll up the unfilled part in the in the throat of machine and stitch. Pull it out and repeat until the quilt was full. When finished there was plenty of stitching to ensure durability Laundering may be a chore because of the weight.

In total there were 99 pockets (9 columns divided by 11 rows) containing the beads. Each pocket contains 1.6oz of poly bead. The label was muslin printed on inkjet printer.
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weighted Quilt

Very nice! Looks like you put a lot of work and love into it. May I ask why you made it weighted?
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

where did you get the football field material?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a weighted quilt for a distressed young child last year but just used layers and layers of fabric. I was afraid of the beads. The weight gives them security

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I made one last year for my youngest grandson and used the very small poly beads that are machine washable and machine dryable. I used the ideas on a Man Sewing tute. It took a while but so worth it because it helps my guy sleep better and longer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful. Did you use a pattern or make your own? Either way you did a fantastic job.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My son wanted a weighted blanket, but it's going to have to be something on his side of the bed only. I'd knitted an afghan out of that Bernat Blanket yard. It was heavy but not that warm to me. I'd used it on my bed as a weighted blanket. So I gave it to him to try since it was gray and would look better in his bedroom. Well, last I heard it was still in his office where he'd dropped it the night I gave it to him. Insert eye roll here.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Some answers-

amartin24- I saw he had about 6 blankets on his bed at home. LOL

LauraP- I got this at a quilt show booth which had mostly sports related fabrics. It's readily available though. Search "football gridiron fabric." Or go to http://www.fabric.com/buy/0529510/gr...d-29889bf8fb7b

Simply Quilting- No pattern. I had an idea what I wanted to do. Searched "Seahawks quilts" and got some ideas. Used some random pieced blocks, and added the Seminole pieced border. The lining for the beads was my idea to facilitate getting the beads to "fall" all the way to the bottom without catching on any seams or hanging up on the batting. Really helped.

Weighted quilts or blankets seems to becoming a popular thing with others- not just those with autistic tendencies. It's said to be a great stress reliever.
    Last edited by oldmanquilts; June 14th, 2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: problem with link
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic quilt!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I admire your creativity in making this weighted blanket. I know a little girl who could use one, but I've been intimidated by the process. Thanks for posting such a thorough description. You've instilled a bit of confidence in me.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?