Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Able to quilt over squiggle-quilting?

I am being gifted a quilt that I love - except for the fairly important (to me) detail that it is quilted in a large (1 1/2" - 2" between lines) squiggle-quilting pattern. I dislike that pattern, especially at the large scale, and it lessens my enjoyment of the quilt a lot. (and I know lots of people love it! I know this is just my very quirky hangup - they look like guts or brains to me!)

What can I do? Has anyone quilted a quilt twice? Does it look ok? I was thinking of having straight-line quilting done over the top of the squiggles, maybe. The huge circles/spirals I had imagined wouldn't work anymore, I don't think. Will it look different if I wash it a few times? Thank you!

A little more back story on why it means so much to me: The maker of the quilt requested that I pick out something simple that I really wanted, so I liberally adapted this idea fromhere, worked together to choose the fabrics, and requested that specific circular quilting pattern. I knew they were purchasing long-arm quilting services for the quilt, and I had offered to pay for it or have it quilted myself in order to get the pattern I wanted (I assumed it would be more expensive than the squiggles).

Now the quilt is finished, with the different quilting, and I feel both very loved (yay quilt! yay collaboration! yay time and effort and loved poured into it) and very frustrated. It's such a hugely different quilt appearance with the squiggles. I want to enjoy the love embodied in the pieced quilt without cringing at the quilting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Able to quilt over squiggle-quilting?

I love that circular quilting and I don't see why you couldn't do it on top of the meander. I think about meander as dog bones and dinosaur heads if that helps get the "brain" out of your brain. You could also pick out the meander if you really dislike it.
    I believe that circular quilting would be very difficult to do on a longarm which may be why it was not used.

3. Thanks shellty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can quilt over the existing squiggle pattern with a different pattern. If the quilt has already been bound (had the binding attached) it will be a more labor intensive process and they cost will be more. If the quilt has not already been bound it will be the normal charge. Quilting twice with two different patterns will not effect how it looks after washing. Was that your question?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks shellty thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Will changing or adding to the quilting upset the person that made your quilt or is she okay with it?

7. Thanks dwil23, shellty, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have decided that it's great the way it is. Thanks for suggesting a different image, Claire - I think I could probably think of coral and cactus. It made a huge difference talking to the quilter, too, her obvious joy in it, rather than basing all my feelings on a texted picture. It is a great quilt, I just had to get out of my head about it.

Thanks everyone!

9. Thanks dwil23, LLLinda thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

A quilt is a quilt and it needs to be loved. I'm glad you are at peace with it. What a joy to be given a quilt rather than always being on the other end. (())

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post