Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilt squares not measuring up

Iím putting together the Desert Sunset quilt (early winter Ď16). Iíve sewn 5 2 1/2Ē strips together, pressed them, and cut into 10 1/2Ē squares, as the pattern says. Once the matching square is turned, in order to sew around the perimeter, the measurements donít match, so the squares are off. I remember having this problem before, and having a problem matching corners, after cutting into quarters, turning and sewing together (i hope that makes sense). There is no MSQC tutorial, just the 3 Dudes tutorial, and he includes a border around each square, and explains making sure squares are same size; the magazine doesnít. Ugh.

Suggestions? Iím about ready to trash the whole project, and begin something different.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt squares not measuring up

It may help to starch your fabrics before pressing and cutting.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

3. Thanks tntfox thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It is likely either in your cutting, or your 1/4 inch seam. Possibly a bit of both.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When you sew 5 2.5" strips together, they should measure 10.5" tall. Then if you cut them at 10.5" wide, they will be square.
    If they didn't measure 10.5" either adjust your 1/4 seam allowance, which at this point is probably too late, because you'd have to remove all your stitches, and re-sew the strips, OR you cut them as wide as they are tall, how ever tall that turned out to be.

To test your 1/4 seam allowance, sew two 2.5" pieces together, then press them and see if they are 4.5" wide. If they are, you're good, and if they aren't, then your seam allowance wasn't 1/4". It takes practice. A lot of practice.
    Try a seam guide on the bed of the machine [what I use on my Featherweight], or a 1/4" foot [which I have had no success with], or even a foot with an actual little blade for a guide on it, which is what I use on my rocketeer. Try everything. One thing will work for you.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, tntfox thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I sew 2.5" strips together, I have to use a very scant 1/4" in order for the dimensions to come out right. Are you sewing together the long 42" strips? You might consider cutting them in half & sew the strips that way. I found I have more accuracy when doing it that way. Of course, that won't work for the JR Race patterns.

8. Thanks tntfox thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Did you check the pattern and/or link for corrections?

What are the typical size you have on the blocks? Can you square all the blocks to that size and go from there?

Did you check the measurements of each strip after sewing? I don't know the pattern. Do you have a link/video so we can see it?

Strip 1 and strip 5 = 2 1/4 inches

Strip 2, 3 and 4 = 2 inches

These strips should add up to 10 1/2 inches after sewing together. If you are sewing around these squares, you would have a 10 inch square. do you have that on your squares?

How are the 10 inch squares cut? Diagonal or straight? What are the next steps/measurements?

Hope you get it figured out.

10. Thanks tntfox thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve squared the blocks to 10 1/2Ē. Theyíll get put together, one horizontally, one vertically, sewn around the perimeter and then cut in quarters on the diagonal, and sewn together.

This quilt is on the front page of the Block magazine; Early Winter 2016.
    Attachment 152907

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a scant 1/4 as the edges of the jelly roll are pinked. This will affect the size a bit. When you have sewn the strips together, measure the length of the strip. You may have to a adjust the cutting a bit. I hope I am making sense.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

13. Thanks tntfox thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget; precuts aren't always cut accurately either. Always check them.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If your stripset measures 10.5" in width after sewn you're good on the seam allowance.

After cutting into squares, and you rotate one square 90* to the other for sewing- then they don't match up- they ain't square!

How are you cutting them for square? How are you measuring to insure they're square?

BTW- dynamite screen name.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-