Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Featherweight machines - What's your opinion about white ones?

Those who know me know that I have been drooling for a Featherweight for a long, long time. I won't buy one sight unseen and found a white one that is in need of some repairs for a very reasonable price. It's white (1960's) because it is newer than the black ones. I decided to go for it!

So what's your opinion ... are the older black ones the only way to go and don't consider this a true Featherweight?
    Or do like it because the white color is rarer because it was made for a shorter period of time?
    Or doesn't it make any difference?

Featherweight owners ... would you look down on someone with a white Featherweight if they showed up with it at a retreat? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Featherweight machines - What's your opinion about white ones?

I have no idea about weather one is better than the other. All that should matter is you like it. I love mine and won't give her up for nothin! Enjoy her.....they are special.

I'd never turn my nose up at whatever anyone showed up with! Featherweight or not!

4. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

White is more rare and therefore more valued. If you are a facebook user there is a facebook group run by The Featherweight Store. There is a wealth of information and helpful videos available there.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are some physical differences between the black and white ones. Check out the Featherweight Shop...they have so much good info.
    I have a black 1957 and am in awe of all FWs of any description...I think most FW owners feel the same way. The white ones are more collectible because there were fewer produced.
    I was soooo excited when I got mine. Hope you get your new baby up and running soon!

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who might turn up their nose at whatever machine you choose to use isn't fit company anyway, and should just be ignored. That said, I would LOVE a white one.

10. Thanks sherriequilts, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The white ones are a little smaller, at least the bed that folds up. I think they were marketed towards teens when they first came out, trying to interest them in sewing. I read an article on them years ago. There is someone here in town selling her black one for $395 and her white one for $550, I think those are the prices.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

12. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1949 featherweight and love it. It is fairly new to me, I bought it from a friend who had multiples and knew I had wanted one. I would not look down at anyone's featherweight because of the color, I love the look of the white ones.
    I belong to the featherweight group fun by the featherweight shop and it is a great place to learn about the machines and maintain them. They have numerous tutorials. I have also ordered things from them and have been very happy with their service.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

14. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black one and it's so cute. But given an opportunity (and disposable funds), I would acquire a white one as well (I think they look a little glamorous - LOL).

But then, I'm a sucker for vintage things, so they're all good!

16. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays, featherweight owners have them painted all colors so I think a white one would be great. I'd just like to find a decent one that I can afford.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking for that article I read, of course didn't find it, but found out a couple other things about the white ones. They are belt driven, rather than gear driven like the black ones. They were made in Scotland. They weigh less than the black ones because of the belt and because of the smaller fold up bed.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.