Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Using Minky

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Using Minky

I have a quilt request that I'm making and they asked for the backing to be Minky. I got the fabric and I need help. I've never used it and I wondered if there were any hints or tricks in using it and quilting it.
    TIA
    Chris

"What I lack in leadership, I more than make up for in sewing." Sheldon Cooper, PhD.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Minky

http://www.shannonfabrics.com/cuddle-tips-and-tricks/

Here are some tips from Shannon fabrics. I found this helpful when using it on my LA.
    Last edited by KarenC; May 29th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

3. Thanks mcr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have your lint roller handy!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

5. Thanks mcr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In my case I needed a vacumm too! and used lots of pins.

7. Thanks mcr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was totally scared of using Minky as a backing. I use a longarm for quilting, and thought it would be a saggy mess. By mounting it with the selvedges attached to the leaders -longways grain attached ( as opposed to the usual way of mounting the fabric with the crossways grain attached to the leaders), and not rolling the backing tightly, it quilted up very nicely, and there were no ripples in the backing. I see Shannon recommends mounting it the regular way, MSQC uses the transverse method I am told.

As far as machine quilting on a domestic, I can't give any advice on that method.

Minky/Shannon does come in a 90" width, if you can find it.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 30th, 2018 at 05:22 AM.

9. Thanks mcr thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I was totally scared of using Minky as a backing. I use a longarm for quilting, and thought it would be a saggy mess. By mounting it with the selvedges attached to the leaders -longways grain attached ( as opposed to the usual way of mounting the fabric with the crossways grain attached to the leaders), and not rolling the backing tightly, it quilted up very nicely, and there were no ripples in the backing. I see Shannon recommends mounting it the regular way, MSQC uses the transverse method I am told.

As far as machine quilting on a domestic, I can't give any advice on that method.

Minky/Shannon does come in a 90" width, if you can find it.
    I wish I had a long arm, but I have a nice BabyLock with a bigger harp, and an old HandiQuilter frame it fits on, so I'll use it and try your way of attaching. Did you use stretch needles? I wondered how well they go through regular cotton. The top is a variation of Trip Around the World. I'm not sure yet what quilting pattern I'll use, any ideas?
    Thanks to all
    Chris

"What I lack in leadership, I more than make up for in sewing." Sheldon Cooper, PhD.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used Minky on the back of a baby quilt recently, I straight-line quilted the whole thing on my DSM with no problems at all. I didn't make any changes to accomplish this and sewed and quilted it just like I do with 100% quilter's cotton.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

When sewing minky to minky, i use the batting spray stuff to help hold it together. And once you cut it, throw it in the dryer to help with the mess.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    I wish I had a long arm, but I have a nice BabyLock with a bigger harp, and an old HandiQuilter frame it fits on, so I'll use it and try your way of attaching. Did you use stretch needles? I wondered how well they go through regular cotton. The top is a variation of Trip Around the World. I'm not sure yet what quilting pattern I'll use, any ideas?
    Thanks to all
    i just used my regular needles, I use 18 or 19 Organ titanium needles. I go with what Fifi the Pfaff longarm likes, and she cooperates with a nice stitch! Not sure what advantage a stretch needle would be, since you want the Minky to act like woven fabric. Quilting pattern? For a busy top like Trip Around the World, I would use something simple, or a narrow, non-fussy pantograph. I turn my meanders into Vines and leaves, or waves, or simple flowers, or hearts, but keep the quilting simple.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When ever I use minky for backing fabric, when I'm done, I trim the batting away from the edge of the quit top and trim the minky backing fabric to 2 inches all the way around, then I folded it and pull it over to the top and stitch it down. This gives a nice one inch hem and I always choose minky that coordinates with the top fabric. Minky is also tougher and wears better than cotton on those edges. My son's quilt that I made him over ten years ago, the top is showing wear and tear but that minky is still holding strong - no fraying on the edges.

I have a longarm now and do it like Jean does her's. But before, I used 505 basting spray and used my walking foot. Also, whenever I used basting spray, I still put a safety pin on each corner incase it snags on something and pulls apart.
    Vonnie