Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Oats

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overnight Oats

Hi

Is there anyone that has tried this Overnight Oats ?

Is it any good or is it just mush ?

I am thinking of trying it out. I like oat porridge so I hope there is a good chance that I like this to .

Here are some YouTube links

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+Oats+Recipes

I must confess that the recipe with peanut butter and chocolate and banana sounds very tempting.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overnight Oats

My daughter makes this and loves it. She can just warm it up a bit and take it to work (very early in the morning) and have something warm and good before the children arrive in the classroom. I must admit, now that you've posted this, and looking at the recipes, I need to do this so that Fred and I have a good breakfast each morning. Seems that to actually make breakfast in the morning feels like such a chore. Don't know why. But having something already to warm and eat might be what we need.
    Last edited by cv quilter; May 29th, 2018 at 11:14 AM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made them after my DD told me about it. I did cut back on the amounts she gave me because it was way too much for me. she made hers ahead in wide mouth jars, I bought plastic containers with lids and made 4 up at a time. Worked fine for me. I wasn't sure I would like it cause I'm a traditional oatmeal lover but they are a nice change
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a coincidence. I just tried overnight oats for the first time last night. I had No Sugar Added Apple Pie Overnight Oats. It was not mush. I think I need to cut back on the ginger and add some nutmeg though. She also has a recipe for peanut butter and chocolate baked oatmeal. I haven't tried that one yet. I am trying to eat healthier.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/category...reakfast/oats/
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I found it to be rather nasty. I'll cook my oats, thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those were not the recipe that I was expecting. They sounds delicious. We do overnight steel cut oats in the slow cooker. And add flavoring to them. One thing that you have to make sure it that you use steel cut oats. If you use quick oats, you will have mush in the morning.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Quilting View Post
    Those were not the recipe that I was expecting. They sounds delicious. We do overnight steel cut oats in the slow cooker. And add flavoring to them. One thing that you have to make sure it that you use steel cut oats. If you use quick oats, you will have mush in the morning.
    Honestly I prefer the ones you are thinking of. I make them on Sunday night and DH and I have several days' worth. Again, portioned in a plastic container and refrigerated until needed
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken the plunge and made some for tomorrow's breakfast.

I used banana and peanut butter and it smells great.

I will let you know how it taste and whether or not I liked it.

And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I make these a lot, especially in the summer. We call it "summer porridge" and eat it cold. I start with 1/3 cup Quaker oats (original, not quick or instant) and stir in a heaping teaspoon of chia seeds. Next, spoon in about half of a single-serve carton of yogurt (flavor varies depending upon what add-ins I am using). Add milk (or almond milk, etc.) and stir in whatever add-ins you want. I usually make four at a time, as they last several days in the fridge (except the banana varieties, those are best eaten within a day or so). Because I am not a morning person, I love being able to just grab one and head out the door to work.

Some variations we like:
    1) Lemon blueberry - use lemon yogurt, fresh blueberries, and a little lemon zest.
    2) Apple cinnamon - add a few shakes of cinnamon and one of nutmeg to the oats and chia seeds. Use vanilla yogurt. Chop some fresh apple and dip in lemon juice, then add to porridge.
    3) Pina colada - use coconut yogurt, stir in some pineapple tidbits and coconut flakes.
    4) Banana chocolate - stir in unsweetened cocoa powder with the oats and chia seeds. Vanilla yogurt. Add sliced bananas and maybe a drizzle of Hershey's syrup.
    5) Berry - use strawberry, blueberry, or vanilla yogurt. Throw in a handful of frozen berries, peaches, or whatever fresh or frozen fruit you have on hand.

Chia seeds can be found in the health foods section of the grocery store, and also in the bulk foods department. They absorb liquid and have an interesting texture (kind of like tapioca). They keep the oatmeal from turning to mush. You can substitute flax seeds.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

God morning everybody

I have just finished eating my overnight oats and I must say that I am pleased.

It was tasty and I feel full in a nice way.

I think that I can make some tweaks and twist to get it perfect but on the whole I am happy to have found a easy and tasty way to eat breakfast.

Have a great day/evening

Annika ( whit a satisfied belly ) ;-)

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post