Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rainy Sunday morning

Good morning everyone. It's a rainy one here. We had a nice day yesterday. Got to see some people at our great-niece's birthday party that we haven't seen in a while. And then when we dropped dh's Aunt back home in Brooklyn, we got to see our new great-nephew for the first time since he and his mommy and daddy live in the upstairs apartment. Our nephew and niece wisely decided that they weren't going to the party with all those little children in attendance. Little John Francis Bambino IV is too new just yet. The little man was napping so I didn't get to cuddle him but had a nice visit with his mommy. Daddy was out doing the shopping.

After we got home, we spent the evening sitting outside on our front porch. After 4 hours at a 1 year olds birthday party and a total of 4 1/2 hours of driving time, we had no energy left for anything else. Today, we will go to a garden center and pick up our veggie plants and some more flowers. Then, hopefully, we will get to plant a bit tomorrow.

Monique, are you all set for your retreat? Have a wonderful time! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Have a good day everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rainy Sunday morning

Good Afternoon, Everyone --

After all the excitement yesterday, today is turning out to be blessedly quiet. Mom is doing ok after her trip to the ER, and was able to sit outside and enjoy the weather this morning (80 degrees and sunny).

I just finished filling out my annual employee self-evaluation form online. UGH! Torture! In prior years, my manager didn't want us to click the submit button until after we met with her (usually after the submission date), but this year Administration decided we all had to submit our evals by the due date or else. I went from having a week and a half to a work day and a half to complete the task. I wanted to finish it Friday, but I gave up and decided to finish it over the weekend.

Silly of me, I know, to bring work home on a long weekend. But, my building is being renovated and I was relocated two weeks ago from a nice, quiet, private office to a cardboard box (cube) in an office suite. Even though my cube has a door, the walls are only about 6ft high, so it is open to the ceiling. Which means it does not reduce noise at all. It felt like every time I formed a coherent thought, the one gal in the office would ask me a question. It was easier to complete the task at home -- being single and not having kids, there aren't a lot of distractions here. It was so much easier, in fact, that I decided I'm going to take a day off next year and complete the evaluation from home.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend -- I'm off to enjoy some of this wonderful weather.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. I also brought my work computer home for Tue morning I will work from home. 1 pm dental appt (1-1/2 hr one), it doesn't matter to me that dental office is just down the road from my work office. Nice to stay in jammies longer and have no office interruptions. My days are numbered anyway (loss of contract). I even have an interview set up for Thursday after work with one of the competitor companies, been 28 yrs since I had to interview.. argh! I am tired of doing inventory of equipment and furniture for closing of the office and going through files to shred. I need a mental break............... so off to the sewing room I shall go!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!
    We had a lot of fun yesterday. We were invited to a BBQ at some new friends place. They have recently moved here from New York and are getting their new-to-them farm back in shape, which is how we met. Her husband was out on a training deployment and all of his animals started having babies. He was the farm guy, not her. With a bit of assistance she is mastering the farm life!
    We got to meet new people and watch others. I swear people watching can be as much fun as anything! We stayed late into the night talking farming and other stuff. You know it is good when you finally realize what time it is when your teenager asks to go to bed!
    Today we will finish the back deck and I will hopefully finish quilting the retirement quilt for one of our teachers this evening.
    Now that my coffee cup is empty, I had better get out back and help with the cutting and placing of the boards!
    Make it a great day Quilty friends! Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Julie, at lest you have cubicles. Believe me it does provide more privacy than the open format. At my last job, we moved from offices to the open bull-pen format. Absolutely hated it. Oh well, retired from it, so go riddance. Today is sunny and hot (as it was yesterday). Yesterday, DS and I went to IKEA to purchase an Alex cabinet to fit under my LA frame. It is so nice to have all my thread and pantos put away and organized. I can actually smile when I walk in that room now. Started quilting another quilt, but the tension is messed up so I'll be spending lots of time with Mr. Ripper. Leaving this evening to go care for my friend that was just released from the hospital. She lives about 60 miles away, so I will just stay at her home for the week. Come back home on Friday to babysit for DGD and then to celebrate DS's birthday.

Many thanks to all of our past and current service men/women who have fought for our freedoms we have here in the USA. Wishing everyone a great day.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, MSN, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon All,

If you could look up 'too pooped to pop' my picture would be there. Yesterday was busy. I took the easy hour glasses that I'd squared up and started laying them out. I don't know why, but it dawned on me that I could make 4 patches and make a pinwheel in the center. So, I laid out my pinwheels and got those all stitched up. Then I laid out the rows. I'm torn now, I think it really needs sashing but the fabric I bought for the outer border is too busy. I've been going through boxes and I don't like anything I've tried other than a narrow black sashing, then the red stars for the outer border. I'm seriously considering just stitching them all together like I was planning from the beginning, especially since I can't get to a store to shop for other fabrics until Wed, and Mike is supposed to work on Morgan's van and Jim's truck.

Jim took me to the post office in the morning to report my key wasn't working in the lock. She thinks they'll have a new key for me by Thursday. Only thing is, I think there is something stuck in the lock. UPS sent an email that my package was in the locker. Now I was home all day... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did they put it in the locker and not on the porch! Frustration on overload- Mike's border fabric is in that locker box that I can't get the key for because it's in my mailbox!

Mike went in to work yesterday at noon. He was supposed to be off at 9, for a full 8 hour day. I was expecting him home around 10. Well, 10 came, 11 came still no Mike. I went ahead and went to bed. Then he police, fire and ambulance sirens started blaring. I got up and looked out the sliding glass door, apparently a wreck happened on the 295 exit. So then the worry started. 11:30 still no Mike. I was scared to call in case he was driving home. Midnight came and I went ahead and changed the calendar and watched the flashing lights. Quarter till 1 he finally pulled in. Talk about relief, then pissed off. He couldn't get any manager to sign him out. They had to restore the store before anyone could leave. Apparently they didn't do it at all on Friday because the bike department was filled with buggies when he got there. Anyway, he made it home and I finally relaxed enough to sleep around 3 only to be up and ready for church at 7 because Morgan worked last night and tonight so she needs to sleep. Grandma was on kid duty while the praise team practiced. By the time Sunday School started, I was running on fumes.

This afternoon, I'm really tempted to climb into bed with an old movie and take a nap. Alberto is sending waves of rain, so far we've had three good waves and the clouds don't look like they're going to break up anytime soon.

I hope everyone has a great day. Prayers for those in need. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Rainy here also and hoping it clears up for all the planned outdoor activities everyone has. Our planned activity isn't a FUN one but the garage needs to be emptied out onto the driveway and stuff sorted as it's an accident trap. DS#3 and wife are coming over later to give us a hand, they're bringing chinese food too . If rain continues we can work inside getting the last of the Christmas stuff up in the garages overhang.

Enjoy your day and the rest of the weekend.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon ~ It's going to be another hot day here. Sunny & already in the 80's. We hit 98 yest. Maybe only 70's tomorrow, which would be a pleasant change. I'm already dreading the heat of the summer. I sure wish I could wave a magic wand & all the grass & weeds in my flower beds would disappear. So much work out there to be done.

Church this a.m. I've had my snack & hope to head to the sewing room shortly. I'm still debating which project to do next -- sandwich, baste & FMQ the Cutting Corners quilt (Donna Jordan's pattern) -- or sew blocks together for different quilt. I have at least 40 blocks made from batiks that are ready to be laid out. I have plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks to all those in the military who have or currently are serving our Country. Three of our 4 boys were in the service. Two were in the AF & 1 was in the Navy. DS#1 retired from the AF after 22 yrs. DH's #2 son was in the AF 4 yrs., then went into the Air National Guard for many years. His #1 son served in the Navy 3 yrs. DH served honorably in the Army in the medical corps during the Viet Nam era & was stationed in Germany.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday week end.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning ladies, a day late.
    I'm just catching up. Lots of changes happening and going on in everyone lives. I am so grateful that I was able to retire early. Work always seemed so pointless and frustrating in the last few years. Evaluations, which were good for me and others, bad for many did not result in any changes to behaviour or reassignments. Open office cubicles were not private and I think lead to less productivity. My daughter tells me that govt space per cubicle is so small now, and shared on alternate days. Good thing when she was on mat leave last time, they removed land lines. Everyone in her office has a cell phone and laptop, so she works from home 2-3 days per week. Trust me, she does work. They have conference calls and work meetings that way. This will be good when she goes back in September after #3. When you are home, no need to get dressed up, except from waist up, you can throw in a load of laundry, prep dinner, and she saves 2 hours/day in travel time. This is good work/life balance.

It has been raining on/off since Friday, so I can't get to yardwork yet, but ok as still coughing. I a feeling energized and finished sewing the blocks of Quatrefoil, and assembled the rows. I am previewing different reds for cornerstone. I may have to go to LQS.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.