Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old quilting books from the library

I am totally a Kindle reader so it is rare for me to actually visit my local library. Today I went there on a whim cruising for patterns and checked out about 6 old quilting books, you know, the kind you probably have gathering dust on your bookshelf. The ones I got were from the 1970's and 80's. Oh my gosh! Do you realize how far we have come, with the internet, and You Tube, Pinterest, Jenny's videos. Just to name a few. The instructions in the library books seemed so awful, so ancient I could hardly believe it. I got one book called Quilting Shortcuts that actualy used carbon paper as one of your most useful tools. This was before precuts and rotary cutters and all the awesome tools we have now to make quilting easy and fun. The drawings were so crude, the photos were kind of dark and not that clear, I was just amazed at how times have changed!! I think this is giving me a fresh reason to purge out some of my old books that I never use. (I do like my old, old It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt book though!)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old quilting books from the library

I just checked my bookshelf....the oldest quilting book there "American Quilts and How to Make Them" is from 1975. All the quilts are constructed from templates and the suggestion is that you trace the designs onto something sturdy that you can trace around again and again. Imagine doing that! But the quilts are all antiques and for that alone, it's a beautiful quilt history book. My other oldie but goodie is Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt in a Day from 1998. I finished my first quilt in 2000 using that book. By then we were using rulers and rotary cutters, thank goodness.

3. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My guild is having a "challenge" from old quilting books. You buy one in a plain brown wrapper so you don't know what you are getting then make a small quilt using the book as inspiration. I got one, have been inspired but not too much since I haven't started the quilt yet but I'm gonna' some time soon.

5. Thanks grammaterry, MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My sister went to her local library where they regularly have a "sale" table. She purchased 6 quilting books from the 70's for me...all at the extreme price of a few cents each. Interesting to browse through but I doubt I would ever use them.

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am the opposite. I love the feel of a book, and so does DH. He's an avid reader and will re-read his favorite collections. I read and keep only if I liked. We have a library on our main floor, DH has another library in the office with a lot of reference books in his field, I have children books in the guest/GKs room, and I have a bookcase in my sewing room, and quilting design books near the Sweet 16.

We do go through the books regularly to purge and donate to local library. Unfortunately, they often have a sale - a bag full for $2. I guess it's like borrowing for awhile, no rush. Although I started quilting 3 years ago, I bought quilt books in the 1980s. It sure was a long process to make quilts. I'm grateful for all the new tools that make quilting easier, faster and more precise.

I have downloaded books, but find it difficult to get into it. Being on a laptop puts me to sleep. Today we will check out the new Indigo store that opened about 5 minutes from home.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I am totally a Kindle reader so it is rare for me to actually visit my local library. Today I went there on a whim cruising for patterns and checked out about 6 old quilting books, you know, the kind you probably have gathering dust on your bookshelf. The ones I got were from the 1970's and 80's. Oh my gosh! Do you realize how far we have come, with the internet, and You Tube, Pinterest, Jenny's videos. Just to name a few. The instructions in the library books seemed so awful, so ancient I could hardly believe it. I got one book called Quilting Shortcuts that actualy used carbon paper as one of your most useful tools. This was before precuts and rotary cutters and all the awesome tools we have now to make quilting easy and fun. The drawings were so crude, the photos were kind of dark and not that clear, I was just amazed at how times have changed!! I think this is giving me a fresh reason to purge out some of my old books that I never use. (I do like my old, old It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt book though!)
    Hey! I learned to quilt from those books, and STILL don't limit myself with precuts and expensive tools. And wasn't that carbon paper dressmakers carbon, which washes out, and is still a handy way to trace some intricate quilting patterns? One shouldn't disparage the ols methods too much. They still work.

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Auntstuff…..There is something about reading a quilt book with the history and the authors prospective on how it goes together. I found that the instructions in some of those old books are better for me than on line although I do love the tutorials on you tube. I made that double wedding ring by cutting out the template and I also checked several on line sources...the templates looked much more friendly than most of the on line instructions. Most of them wanted me to buy plastic templates at a cost of $35 so Cardboard worked for me.
    We have done remarkably well with tools, rules , mats, rotary cutters and the fabric is so much better...but don't discount the joy of a book. I too am a kindle reader but find I have no retention of the book a week after I have finished it. Maybe that's just old age.

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, I bought a large batch of quilting books off Craigslist. I had the same experience you did, jj! I thought, "Templates? Where are the rotary cutting directions?" My first quilt class ever was a hand sewing, template-based class, so I do appreciate that there are some things that can only be done with templates. But that first quilt took eight years to finish! So I also appreciate the time saving techniques that have been developed.

Mostly I developed an appreciation for our foremothers and how much love they poured into a quilt. That, and how much hairstyles have changed!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My hairstyle has changed, as has my clothing, but I still pour that same type of love into all my good old fashioned hand quilted lovelies.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I really love the old quilt books for the history. I am a retired school librarian-I love the smell and feel of books and libraries lol. I get a kick out of some of the older books and the methods they describe, although I have used parts of older books all the time for information. Don't get me wrong-love my Kindle too-mostly for tutes.